How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
U-M Tech Transfer is the organization responsible for the commercialization of University research discoveries and reports to the U-M Office of Research. We enhance these research discoveries to encourage licensing and broad deployment with existing businesses and newly-formed U-M start-ups. U-M Tech Transfer has earned a strong reputation for performance among the top 10 of all universities through providing responsive, professional service to our inventors and industry partners.
The Compliance Specialist will support the efforts of our organization through the management and implementation of programs that ensure that the University remains compliant in its obligations to funding agencies of sponsored research under various types of funding agreements and awards.
- Invention Sponsorship Compliance - Every invention disclosure that is received by U-M Tech Transfer must be reviewed and funding sources determined. The Compliance Specialist will build and maintain relationships with industry partners and federal funding agencies to ensure accurate reporting of funding sources and information. This position will develop and expand on the current framework to monitor and manage sponsorship compliance. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the Bayh-Dole Act and the ability to review and interpret various contracts, including Sponsored Research and License Agreements.
- Federal Reporting & Government Compliance Management: Ensure that the University meets all federal compliance obligations related to Invention and Intellectual Property (collectively referred to as “IP”) contained within Federal Sponsored Research Agreements. This includes reviewing the Sponsored Project Award and related terms, reporting of all new IP developed with funding contained in the applicable federal funding agreement, along with any patents, license agreements, and products that flow from the IP. This will require developing and maintaining relationships with the appropriate individuals at the various federal funding agencies to ensure open lines of communication and reporting.
- Industry and Foundation Reporting and Compliance Management: Ensure that the University meets all IP obligations contained within Sponsored Research Agreements. The Compliance Specialist will prepare and send notifications of new IP created under the Sponsored Project Award and any rights the sponsor has to the technology, as necessary, and track the resulting licenses and options in the UM Tech Transfer IP database (Sophia).
- Serve as the communication point person for all matters related to sponsorship compliance, in coordination with the Manager, Business Process Optimization.
- Ensure that the UM Tech Transfer IP database (Sophia) is updated with appropriate information related to compliance matters.
- Assist with training efforts for University researchers regarding Bayh-Dole and other funding compliance.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Ability to prioritize and/or manage multiple duties and perform required tasks with minimal supervision
• Considerable administrative experience organizing and processing complex information
• Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to work both independently and within a team
• Excellent customer service and organization skills
- Knowledge of the Bayh-Dole Act, iEdison and federal compliance tools and processes
- Ability to review and interpret various types of contracts and legal documents
- 2 or more years of experience in legal support or compliance, a patent licensing office, or similar
- Experience with databases and workflow-based tools
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.