- Provide clients with fitness assessments, individual exercise prescriptions, strength training and flexibility programs, fitness and lifestyle instruction, and orientations to fitness facilities and equipment. Provide suggestions for lifestyle change via increase in frequency and/or duration of exercise sessions, based upon an analysis of a participant’s current health status and risk for future health problems. Recommend strategies for weight loss, strength and flexibility training and cardiovascular conditioning as appropriate. Advise participant on relapse prevention strategies.
- Process payments, answer questions relating to Personal Training Services, schedule appointments as needed. Return phone calls/emails to potential clients and triage to the appropriate service.
- Supervise clients who participate in a supervised exercise program.
- Assist participant in establishing behavior change goals that will improve their health risk. Analyze participant’s barriers to making behavior changes or adhering to health improvement regimens, and facilitate collaborative creation of strategies to reduce or eliminate those barriers.
- Maintain current knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the importance of protecting participants’ personal health information (PHI) and remain well-versed in emergency response protocols.
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, or related field.
- Certification in one or more of the following is required: ACE (American Council on Exercise), ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association), or NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine). Depending on education and experience, other certifications may be accepted.
- Current certification for CPR, First Aid, and AED (Automated External Defibrillator).
- Basic understanding of behavioral psychology and/or cognitive psychology principles and how such principles may be used to facilitate lifestyle change to reduce health-related risk factors.
- Ability to work with diverse employee populations, and to tailor educational and coaching messages to the capabilities of each participant.
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams to support health improvement goals via programs and individual coaching and counseling.
- Ability to work in various communication channels (in-person, telephone, email, virtual meeting) to meet needs of diverse populations.
- Two years’ experience as a personal trainer.
- Master’s degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, or related field.
- Individual in this role will work shifts that range from 1-8 hours a day in length.
- Personal training sessions are held at:
- UH South Wellness Center located at 1500 E. Medical Center Dr.
- North Campus Research Complex located at 2800 Plymouth Road, Building 18
- Personal training sessions are usually held Monday – Friday.
- Personal training sessions may be held during morning, evening or night shift hours.
Please include a cover letter and resume when applying to this position (attach as a single document).
Temporary Staffing Services is posting and screening candidates on behalf of the hiring University unit.
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details. This temporary job opening will be posted for a minimum of two calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.