How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Program Manager in Student Involvement and Leadership is responsible for providing support to student organizations and programming that creates a dynamic student engagement experience. The Program Manager provides activities and programs to help cultivate a positive co-curricular program fostering student involvement, learning, and personal development.
The Program Manager will be expected to work with department staff to create an engagement model grounded in the Social Change Model of Leadership Development that reinforces UM-Flint’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. The Program Manager will assist with policies, standards, and goals for the department which are consistent with the mission and goals of the University and the Division of Student Affairs.
The University of Michigan-Flint affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply and we are seeking candidates from a diverse background to lead the program during a transformative time. The University of Michigan-Flint is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Student Organization Management
- Oversees all aspects of student organization management including the registration of organizations and compliance with Universities policies and procedures.
- Oversees administrative needs of student organizations including managing key distribution, locker renal, inventory of all purchased equipment.
- Meets with student organizations on a regular basis to provide consultation on programs, marketing and effective organization management.
- Oversees the Student Organization Resource Center (The Loft) and ensures the services provided meet the needs of student organizations.
- Assists student organizations with high-quality event marketing that meets the guidelines of the University of Michigan-Flint. Edit flyers, posters, literature and other materials prepared by student organizations for on and off-campus distribution.
- Implements and oversees the processes for posting/distributing of materials on campus per the stipulated policies.
- In consultation Student Involvement and Leadership staff, monitor budgets, maintain a variety of records regarding student clubs and event budgets, maintains accurate budget balances, records, statements and accounts; prepares reports as needed or requested; review and audit financial transactions made by student organizations on campus.
- Approves student requisitions and purchase orders for processing within the guidelines of the University of Michigan-Flint.
- Maintains appropriate contact with existing club advisors.
- Promotes the creation and development of new clubs and identification of new club advisors among personnel
- Assists with developing and offering orientation meetings for new club members and advisors.
- Assists with updating and maintaining advisor resources as required.
- Develops and maintains the student organization handbook.
- Oversees the on-line student organization management system (OrgSync), ensuring that portals are updates and data is readily available.
- Offers OrgSync training to ensure broad usage amongst students and departments.
- Maintains an inventory of all equipment purchased by student organizations with funds from the University of Michigan-Flint.
- Assists with the development and implementation of campus activities and programming, including annual events and traditions.
- Coordinates details of events, including registration, content and activities, presenters, catering and room reservations.
- Represents the department on related campus activities committees.
- Advises Campus Activities Board and National Society for Leadership and Success. Attends and supervises all sponsored activities. Provides logistical support for activities. Reviews and approves organization activity requests and oversees compliance with contracts.
- Plans, coordinates and supervises the preparation and dissemination of publications related to student clubs, activities, and affairs to students, staff and the community.
- Participates in the development of marketing strategies to promote campus activities and services to maximize student involvement.
- Recommends student activities policies and procedures and implements as directed.
- Facilitates, promotes and assists with student recognition and award presentation events.
- Oversees and coordinates programming for the University Center and University Pavilion.
- Serves as a liaison between students and appropriate staff related to student activities
- Assists with creating a robust campus environment by contributing to a strategic direction for the department
- Supervises, recruits, hires, trains, and assesses the job performance of assigned staff; includes developing training experiences and supervision strategies that provide skills, knowledge, and dispositions required to effectively meet established goals and objectives.
- Meets regularly with Event and Building Services staff to review student organization events, policies and procedures.
- Supports the University of Michigan-Flint’s commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus through program development and individual professional development
- Fosters an atmosphere of respect for individual differences and community values.
- Provides resources and referrals for students and student organizations.
- Effectively communicates with students, administrators, faculty, and outside constituents.
- Responds to requests and inquiries and makes appropriate referrals of inquiries to upper-level personnel.
- Assists with department assessment and reporting.
- Represents the office of Student Involvement & Leadership on appropriate university committees, meetings, and events.
- Communicates and promotes University policy and procedures including departmental policies.
- Meets regularly with supervisor and attends staff meetings.
- Serves as a mandatory reporter (Clery Act) and responsible employee (Title IX) and immediately report related incidents according to federal mandates and university policies.
- Reports all incidents of hazing and participates in all related investigations.
- Works evenings and weekends as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated understanding of student development issues in a post-secondary environment.
- Experience with OrgSync desired
- Supervisory experience desired
- Some budgeting and financial management experience desired
This position requires a flexible schedule with an occasionally heavy load of evening and weekend commitments, while maintaining a visible and predictable presence in the main office during a significant portion of normal 8am - 5pm business hours.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job is posted for sixty (60) days but may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended. Interested applicants are encouragd to apply early.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.