The Brighton Center for Specialty Care is the newest University of Michigan Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located at 7500 Challis in Brighton, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-focused individuals who will share in the goal of crafting the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Why work for Michigan Medicine?
You will play an integral role within our institution, and are important to providing the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. Don’t hesitate – join our team today, and help us provide remarkable assistance our patients in the Brighton area.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- 75% Tuition Reimbursement
- Growth opportunities to higher seniority positions
- Management that provides quality training and direction
- Direct communication and partnership with Nurse Practitioners and Physicians
As a Referral Coordinator, you will provide exceptional patient centered excellence to patients and families. You will coordinate and facilitate between Physician and Insurance Companies, regarding authorization and referrals for specialty care services. Acting as a primary resource for providers, staff, patients and external insurances, you will also be responsible for:
- Processing referrals using established insurance company guidelines.
- Obtaining authorizations, precertification, prescriptions for therapies, and benefit verifications.
- Managing orders and referral work queues, and responding to patient referral issues in a timely manner.
- Facilitating appointment scheduling for primary and specialty services.
- Providing relevant insurance information and updates to staff, providers and managers (e.g. managed care changes, terminated contracts).
- Working closely with providers, clerical and clinical staff on referral processes to understand and proactively identify and resolve referral issues.
- Assisting in developing new process and procedures within the BCSC.
- Mentoring, orienting and supporting new staff and assisting with on-the-job training.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 3 – 4 years of experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling.
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records or professional medical billing.
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
The facility is open 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM Monday through Friday, and 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM on Saturday. We are flexible in scheduling, and request that you are also flexible in working various shifts.
As part of the orientation training process, your training will be held at multiple locations during your first few months of the employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on you upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together improve our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
External Applicants: Please note that for the first phase of this posting, we will be considering internal candidates only in an effort to offer advancement opportunities. You are still able to submit your resume for consideration, but our process for external candidates will begin approximately 30-days after the posting date.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.