How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Looking for an exceptional bioinformatician for a full-time position with knowledge and experience with in ChIP, DNA and RNA sequencing analysis and related NGS procedures to work in the Michigan Otolaryngology and Translational Oncology Lab (MiOTO). Candidate must have expertise in C++, RUBY, PERL or R-programming languages.
Job expectations include:
- Knowledge and experience in determining suitable technical methods and performing procedures with professional judgment and ability to make preliminary interpretation of results and determine consistency with expected results and developing custom pipelines and analysis workflows for individual projects.
- Managing databases, conducting statistical and genomic analysis on several data sets. Maintenance of a database for sequencing data and NGS analysis results, integration of NGS data with Otolaryngology tumor board and RedCap databases. Database structure and development are desirable, but not required.
- Identification and adaption of emerging software packages and informatics methods for analysis of our NGS data
- Responsibility for writing methods sections and maintaining detailed notes for tracking of bioinformatics pipelines and daily skill development with an undergraduate bioinformatics trainee
- Collaborating with biologists in the lab and working independently to analyze data derived from several types of projects using next-generation sequencing technologies
- Assemble, organize data, and assist in interpretation of results and prepare data for scientific presentation
MiOTO employs genomic, proteomic, and bioinformatics approaches on clinical biospecimens to identify novel biomarkers and therapeutic targets. The mission of this lab is to facilitate the discovery, validation, and implementation of candidate target genes/proteins in disease diagnosis, prognosis, and therapy. The lab employs a multi-disciplinary approach, engaging talent from diverse disciplines ranging from medicine, pathology, bioinformatics, biostatistics, engineering, cytogenetics, and molecular therapeutics. This position will focus on understanding the correlations between newly discovered molecular lesions from NGS approaches and functional responses in high throughput whole genome screens.
- Bachelor's degree in bioinformatics, computer science, engineering, mathematics or related field.
- 4-5 years of experience in a related field
- Familiarity with programming, cancer biology terminology, and C++, RUBY, PERL or R languages is required.
- Dry laboratory experience in the areas of ChIP/DNA/RNA-Sequencing analysis.
- Strong organizational, leadership and time management skills.
- Exceptional ability to work with a team. Willingness to learn new techniques. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
Master’s degree in bioinformatics, computer science, engineering, mathematics or related field.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities though excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, national and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education, and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.