How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Please include links to representative examples of prior work, or a demo reel.
The University of Michigan is seeking a qualified Media Designer to develop digital content in support of online and residential educational experiences for the Office of Academic Innovation (AI).
Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. The Provost’s Office created AI to redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university through creative use of technology and targeted experimentation with digital programs in order to enable engaged, personalized and lifelong learning for the entire Michigan community. The Office of Academic Innovation aims to capitalize on distributed innovation at the broader institutional level to accelerate the pace of discovery and adoption. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics, and digital infrastructure at scale, we aim to transform the way we educate and engage our residential students.
This position is a creative one, working within a team environment to collaboratively design and create video and other media content. The efforts of the team support new digital learning initiatives through collaboration with world-class faculty at the University of Michigan. This position will report to the Manager of Media Design & Production, and will work closely with other members of the Media Design Team as well as other teams in the Office of Academic Innovation to deliver compelling work. Ideal candidates actively embrace challenges, thrive on solving tough problems, demonstrate passion for digital education and how it impacts the future of higher education, and enjoy working within a dynamic, fast-paced team environment.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Collaborate with Faculty and Design teams to identify opportunities to incorporate multimedia and video components in support of online and residential education initiatives.
- Conceptualize, create, and prepare media of different styles including but not limited to: lectures, screencasts, demonstrations, dramatizations, documentaries, tutorials, graphics, animations, and live webcasts.
- Write and edit scripts for video content as needed, either individually or as a member of a team.
- Set up and operate cameras, lighting equipment, audio, teleprompter, wireless microphones and other related audio/video equipment during studio and field recording sessions.
- Provide coaching and support for presenters during lecture recording sessions.
- Using appropriate techniques and effects, edit raw video, select music, designs graphics and/or digital video effects in order to create a quality, creative, finished product.
- Ensure timely delivery of high-quality content to vendor platforms and other partners.
- Ensure necessary compliance to Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), copyright, permission and licensing processes.
- Contribute to content quality control evaluation and oversight.
- Assist with additional video related work and responsibilities as needed, and provide expertise in webcasting, video production and editing where needed.
- Ability to work well in a diverse and collaborative environment.
- Associate’s degree in Broadcasting, Filmmaking, Motion Graphics, or relevant experience in digital media production, broadcasting, or closely related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles, practices, techniques, technology and standards of videography and audio production.
- Experience operating production equipment, post-production equipment, and non-linear editing software.
- Experience shooting on location as well as in-studio video. Ability to troubleshoot technical and logistical issues.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and decision making abilities.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within deadlines and competing priorities with strong attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and 3 years relevant experience in digital media production, broadcasting, or closely related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience editing with Final Cut Pro X.
- Expertise creating motion graphics and designing digital video effects in programs such as Motion, Adobe After Effects, or other applications.
- Experience working with green screens and chromakey technology.
- Experience with graphic design software applications.
- Advanced photographic knowledge and experience.
- Experience working in higher education, particularly in roles supporting faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to capture, engineer, mix and master complex multi-track audio recordings.
- Demonstrated proficiency in refined and efficient editing of dialogue.
- Comfort in a startup environment and identifying and experimenting with innovative modalities and technology.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available. For details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.