- Perform gross of simple biopsies (if CAP qualified) , processing of tissue, embedding, microtomy, staining, coverslipping, and frozen sectioning in an efficient manner according to established policies, procedures and protocols in a high volume academic environment
- Perform immunohistochemical stains, direct immunofluorescence, musclehistochemistry and histochemical stains
- Maintains accurate records of quality assurance and quality control
- Maintains all lab equipment in a safe, efficient manner, in accordance with established guidelines
- Perform specimen accessioning to include all manual and computerized data entry
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma and 2 years of related experience or have gone through an accredited histotechnology program required for the Histotechnologist classification.
- Knowledge of general laboratory practices and programs.
- Knowledge of all aspects of Surgical Pathology (i.e. grossing, microtomy, immunohistochemistry, special stains, electron microscopy, etc.).
- Professional and collegial communication skills necessary to work closely with peers in an academic teamwork environment.
- Receptive to and ability to adapt quickly to change.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.