How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Inspect equipment to determine maintenance needs by performing comprehensive inspection on motors, fans, pumps, thermostats, and plumbing, heating or electrical equipment.
- Inspect equipment to determine maintenance needs by performing comprehensive inspection on motors, fans, pumps, thermostats, and plumbing, heating or electrical equipment.
- Inspect, lubricate, charge batteries and perform repairs such as repairing or replacing pulled or frayed cords, hoses, belts and brushes on cleaning equipment, such as vacuum cleaners, buffing machines and auto scrubbers, and assemble new equipment.
- Replace or adjust door knobs, striker plates, hinges and stops, auditorium seats and toilet seats.
- Replace electric cords and plugs, lights, ballasts and door bells.
- Clean roof drains, louvers and window wells.
- Repair or replace ball cock assemblies, faucet washers and components, flush valves and shower valves.
- Unplug commodes, urinals and sink drains by cleaning P-traps and sewer and water lines.
- Perform minor furniture repair such as re-gluing, tightening of arms and legs and bracing.
- Repair or replace ceiling and floor tiles.
- Adjust and maintain door closers and panic exit devices.
- Install, repair or replace venetian blinds and rods.
- Replace screens and window component assemblies.
- Lubricate bearings, oil motors and check V belt alignment and assist in the adjustment and replacement of belts.
- Prepare inspection reports and work orders for repairs.
- Clean and change filters on air, oil and water lines.
- Shut down machinery in emergencies or for maintenance.
- Repair small holes in plaster or drywall.
- Install and repair dispensing machines for toilet supplies, wall hampers, chalk trays and boards, bulletin boards, movie screens, pencil sharpeners and coat hooks, cabinets, shelves and mirrors.
- Clean and paint equipment and fixtures.
- Clean assigned areas of work and equipment and seal machine room floors.
- Maintain an inventory of and order supplies in accordance with guidelines.
- Move large Dewar flasks such as liquid helium, nitrogen, or other gas mixtures.
- Operate single unit motor vehicles, such as vans, pick-up trucks, station wagons and dump trucks.
- Arrange and secure stock, utilizing restraining devices, such as ropes and binder chains and protective pads.
- Remove snow from walks, drives, paths, and parking lots, utilizing shovels, snow blowers and tractors with a power broom or blade.
- Must pass MECH Exam.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Candidates for this position must be able to routinely move and position heavy objects.
- Must be able to fulfill the requirements to operate a UM vehicle.
Prior experience with the following is desired:
- In a maintenance field.
- Minor electrical repair.
- Minor plumbing repair.
- Minor carpentry repair.
Other Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with HVAC.
- Good record-keeping skills.
- Familiarity with current computer application software is desired.
- Familiarity with the use of hand tools is desired.
- Prior experience and demonostrated customer service skills is desired.
Tuesday-Saturday, 7 am - 3:30 pm
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Candidates bidding on this position will be required to take the MECH Exam. Candidates who have taken the exam in the last 12 months will be exempt from this requirement.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.