How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) temporary job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 156316 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 156317
A total of one (1), Advanced Practice Professionals (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this temporary job opening.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Perform initial assessments and detailed H&P's and present pertinent data to the medical staff.
- Collect and interpret reports from diagnostic lab tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies; order tests and prescribe medications; perform various diagnostic, therapeutic, and minor surgical procedures including thoracentesis, paracentesis, arterial blood gases; assist attending physicians in orientation of new resident physicians to the service and assist in maintaining continuity of care throughout the hospital stay.
- The NP/PA will monitor labs and assist in the development of patient-specific, facility based disease management protocols.
- Provide professional guidance to facility personnel in the implementation and maintenance of facility based protocols. The physician assistant provider will confer with attending physicians and collaborate with other care providers/consultants to coordinate and communicate clinical care; maintain accurate documentation regarding patients status, evaluations, and treatments to physicians and the telemanagement team.
- He/she will streamline the patient transfer process between levels of care, including writing discharge orders and communicating specific patient needs to internal and external UMHS team members and other ambulatory care providers.
- Additionally, he/she will participate in quality assurance activities including Lean Projects with the Pulmonary Team; perform other related duties as required to assure patient safety and satisfaction; and utilize new improvements and/or technologies that relate to job assignments.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Nurses job family under number 156316 for NPs to apply.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as a Adult Primary Care or Adult Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- A demonstrated ability to complete history and physical examinations; order appropriate diagnostic studies; synthesize information and make informed clinical decisions; develop appropriate care plans; and be responsive to patient and family preferences is required.
- Incumbent must have strong interpersonal, patient care, and problem solving skills.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work in a multifaceted environment.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills required with patients, family, staff and physicians.
- Ability to demonstrate computer skills including computer documentation and order entry.
- The provider must demonstrate a high level of critical thinking and medical knowledge by using current medical information and scientific evidence for patient care.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Demonstrates interpersonal and communication skills that result in effective information exchange and collaboration with patients, families and health professionals.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate clinical care ideas across multiple patient care services and to communicate assertively as a patient advocate.
- Demonstrates a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles and sensitivity to diversity.
- Ability to work days and weekends to cover a 24/7 inpatient pulmonary service.
- DEA License required, or ability to obtain a DEA license within 30 days of start date required.
- BLS/ACLS required.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the
credentialing and privileging process.
* Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Experience rounding on an inpatient internal medicine, hospitalist or critical care and caring for acutely ill patients is preferred.
- Experience caring for acutely ill patients in the hospital setting.
- Desired patient population includes patients with lung disease or respiratory failure, multisystem involvement internal medicine co-morbidities, familiarity with immunosuppression medications including common side effects and drug interactions.
- Familiarity managing patients on mechanical ventilation and problem solving issues related to
- respiratory failure.
- Recognize complications and appropriately treat immunocompromised patients.
- Experience in thoracentesis, paracentesis, and arterial blood gases w/ interpretation
- Experience with managing chest tubes
- Ability to function independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated clinical leadership and experience with coordinating and managing complex and
- multifaceted projects.
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitating the educational growth of others through previous clinical
- instructional roles.
Hours/Week: Variable as needed by the department
Shift/Hours/Days: Variable shift length, day-night rotation including weekends and holidays, shift length and hours may vary based on department needs.
Note: This is a temporary position without any guarantee of hours. Work could be offered intermittently.
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.