How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the senior level salary range of $67,692 - $96,800 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the senior level expectation. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser experienced candidates will be reviewed at an intermediate level salary range of $56,538 - $80,850.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for a Software Programmer Analyst Senior working within Network Security Operations (NSO). The Network Security Operations team supports, configures and administers firewalls, intrusion detection systems (IDS) and intrusion prevention systems (IPS) to monitor, support and protect enterprise-wide systems including Human Resources, Student Administration, Teaching & Learning and Finance, as well as providing in-building firewall services for campus units.
The Software Programmer Analyst Senior will use up-to-date software development practices to improve operations and streamline processes. This position works with other operations and development staff to implement new integrations between systems and creating new systems where needed.
This position will report to the Network & Security Operations Manager in the ITS Infrastructure Services department. As part of a growing, high performance team with expanding responsibilities, the selected candidate will have the opportunity to work in a very collaborative and dynamic environment to assess and improve the security posture of the University’s most sensitive and critical assets and provide security services for university systems.
Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both written and verbal execution. This role requires someone who can work under minimal supervision, proactively anticipates and resolves problems, has experience in a role providing excellent customer service, the ability to follow documented procedures and standards in a consistent manner and has the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
As a Software Programmer Analyst for the ITS organization within the University of Michigan, this position’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Research and evaluate new technologies, processes and upgrades to existing systems.
- Identify shortcomings and gaps in established procedures or processes, make recommendations for improvements and develop solutions to implement improvements.
- Create integrations between systems to improve and streamline processes.
- Act as a technical resource on a team to build, maintain and update firewall infrastructure to support the university’s network security efforts. This includes setting technical requirements for firewall platforms, drafting requirements for requests for proposals (RFP), facilitating and setting up meetings, collaborating with ITS teams such as network engineering, security architects and network operations to plan and execute firewall architecture.
- Provide recommendations, propose and implement system and hardware patches and upgrades to maintain current stable versions. In support of rule base and vendor platform migrations and upgrades, convert existing functionality and corresponding settings to new versions, vendors and platforms. Ensure all business owners and stakeholders are aware of and support proposed changes to the system.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills when providing advanced technical support, mentorship, training and guidance to technical support staff, resulting in staff and teams using and implementing the latest procedures and best practices to accomplish tasks. Work with vendors and internal groups to address issues and determine upgrade options to meet demands.
- Network Monitoring and Protection – detect and prevent intrusions using IDS/IPS tools; Implement firewall policies and monitor effectiveness.
- Provide Tier III expertise and participate as a subject matter expert in the analysis and design of new enterprise systems and services. Establish subject matter expertise in Checkpoint, Cisco, VMware and Palo Alto firewall platforms and Tipping Point intrusion prevention systems.
- Stay current with DevOps, software development and information security best practices and supporting technologies, as well as the threat environment and relevant advances in technologies. This can include on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
While not limited to the following, in this role, the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking - Demonstrated ability to effectively solve complex problems, using analysis, creative thinking and input from others to improve processes, solve complex problems and develop effective strategies.
Flexibility / Adaptability to Change - Understanding and accepting the need for change, cooperating in implementation and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives.
Building Relationship / Interpersonal Skills - Respects diversity; demonstrates respect for the opinion of others; values each person's contribution to the team. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Maintains agreed-upon levels of confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience as a Programmer/Analyst or similar role in an IT support environment with responsibilities including information and workflow analysis, confidentiality, prioritization, analytical thinking and ability to work independently
- Experience with programming in Python
- Experience with *nix shell or PowerShell
- Experience with Git and source code management
- Experience applying security related technologies, practices or services
- Experience with using APIs to integrate systems
- Experience with system administration with Microsoft or *nix environments
- Solid understanding of fundamental Operating System and TCP/IP Networking concepts
- Solid understanding of fundamental information security concepts including: Authentication, Authorization, Audit, Encryption, Firewalls
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Solid understanding of modern distributed system design and implementation such as REST, JSON and RPC.
- Solid understanding of fundamental security related practices including: Risk Management, Incident Response, Vulnerability Management, Penetration Testing, IDS/IPS, System and Application Hardening, Identity and Access Management, Security Information and Event Management, Firewall management
- Experience with firewall systems security
- Experience with continuous integrations tools (e.g. Jenkins, Travis CI)
- Experience assessing the security architecture of proposed IT solutions
- Solid understanding of security controls for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Networking platforms
- Detailed understanding of the assurance implications of various regulatory and compliance requirements including PCI and HIPAA
- Networking and/or Security certifications such as CCNP and CISSP
Work Schedules & Locations
May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends. Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required. May require travel to various locations on and off university campus.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.