How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Your application must also include 2-3 writing samples and an example of a strategic communication plan.
About Us: Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) plays an integral role in the success of Michigan Medicine by providing clinicians, educators, students, and staff with exceptional IT products, services, and support. The HITS Marketing & Communications Team provides both strategic counsel and effective marketing solutions that are creative, engaging, and audience-driven.
About You: You are a talented and highly motivated storyteller with experience in identifying and developing original content. You understand how to make complex topics consumable and seek creative ways to share your message. You are a team player who thrives in fast-paced, service-oriented environments.
- Assist in the creation, promotion, implementation, and measurement of goal-based marketing communication plans and strategies.
- Complete audience and change impact analysis to help inform communication needs and execution.
- Tailor messaging, narratives, stories, and content for different audiences.
- Identify and develop feature articles, internal communications, web content, presentations, announcements, and executive talking points for both internal staff and the broader Michigan Medicine community.
- Seek innovative communication approaches to effectively reach all levels of an audience.
- Coordinate event communications for all staff meetings, leadership forums, and key presentations.
- Develop, track, and monitor communication measurements that are strategic, timely, and realistic.
- Work collaboratively with other departments and Michigan Medicine communications representatives.
- Coordinate and track production of multiple deadline-driven projects, including multi-level vetting and approval processes.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, or related field.
- Two to five years professional experience, including creating and implementing communication plans.
- Demonstrated results developing communication campaigns and ability to understand and translate goals into a communication plan that resonates with intended audiences.
- Strong knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of public relations, marketing, communications, and/or change management.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people and effectively manage relationships.
- Detailed oriented and organized with the ability to manage multiple duties and assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Must be self-motivated, flexible, and easily adapt to changing needs.
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan and/or the Michigan Medicine organizational structure, culture, operations, and procedures.
- Understanding of basic graphic design principles.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Drupal, or other web editing software.
- Experience gathering, measuring, and evaluating web and email analytics.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.