How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) is seeking a candidate to join the Software Delivery organization to lead a new team dedicated to ensuring software developers across Michigan Medicine have access to the platforms and tools required to deliver secure and reliable software. As the Dev Services Lead you will help drive e excellence in medical education, patient care, and research by providing the foundation required for innovative and mission critical software solutions across the institution.
The Dev Services team will be comprised of engineers responsible for the tools supporting the build and deployment of software within Michigan Medicine. Our team culture empowers you to take ownership of your work and its outcome. This is a unique opportunity for self-motivated individuals to work with a highly competent team. We are looking for candidates who are able to work collaboratively to resolve problems and have a high tolerance for complexity and ambiguity. The Dev Services Lead must have a very deep understanding of various development tools and technologies. While this is a hands-on technical role, you will be expected to take charge of problems, and take the initiative to design and deliver solutions. We expect the team to have a strong desire to learn, researching and applying new technologies and methods as needed. We are looking for candidates who enjoy mentoring teammates and developing those around them.
- Work directly with agile Software Development teams to provide daily support aligned with a model of Continuous Integration
- Work closely with Software Development, Information Security, Infrastructure, and Operations teams to provide fully automated build and deployment routines for Development, Staging, and Production environments
- Define and improve the build & release practice by working with development teams and educating others
- Identify, plan, and implement automation and environment management activities
- Enable groups outside your own team to securely and easily perform day to day tasks
- Build relationships with Development, Platforms & Operations teams and drive enhancements to the end-to-end release process
- Review entire environment infrastructure and execute initiatives to reduce failures and improve overall performance
- Experience troubleshooting production availability issues in a complex environment
- Mentor fellow team members on technology, process, communication and teamwork
- Manage and prioritize competing tasks from various stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of hands on experience in software development or technical delivery
- Solid understanding of build, automation, and configuration tools such as Jenkins, Maven, Ansible, Rundeck, Puppet, Chef, Git
- Experience mentoring, developing others, and providing design-level guidance to less experienced engineers
- Experience with web server configuration, monitoring, and network design
- Experience with enterprise monitoring systems
- Experience with log management and log aggregation tools such as Splunk
- Strong information security focus
- Hands on experience with web services and API related transformations
- Demonstrated success with high availability, failover, and clustered environment setups
- Experience planning and executing disaster recovery of enterprise systems
- Experience in project management, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Experience with analyzing and designing solutions to complex or ambiguous problems
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with containers and orchestration services like Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Experience with AWS or another cloud PaaS provider
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.