Apply Now Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.

How to Apply

Send CV and letter of interest to:

Kelly Ann Espinoza

Assistant to the Senior Associate Dean for Education and Global Initiatives

University of Michigan Medical School

5105 Medical Science Building I, SPC 5624

1301 Catherine Street

Ann Arbor, MI  48109-5624

or email as an attachment to: kaespino@umich.edu

 

Responsibilities*

The Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education (GME) provides leadership for the Health System’s Graduate Medical Education Programs and oversees the Internal Review process of residencies and fellowships.  The individual will hold a 30% academic administrative position and report to the Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education (Associate Dean).  (Remaining 70% effort is a faculty appointment at the rank of Professor or Associate Professor.)

 

Specific duties include, but are not limited to:

  1. Close collaboration with the Associate Dean education, participation in regular education retreats, and as requested with the Dean’s Education Cabinet under the leadership of the Senior Associate Dean for Education and Global Initiatives.
  1. coordination with other education units at University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) for purposes of synergism and collaborative problem solving
  2. Assist Associate Dean in representation on hospital and medical school projects, committees, and education of Program Directors.
  1. Work with Associate Dean to ensure ongoing accreditation with oversight responsibility for the implementation of Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and other relevant agencies (e.g. American Board of OB/GYN, American Dental Association) policies and requirements across the health system.
  1. participate in institutional site visits
  2. Vice Chair of the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC).
  3. Vice-Chair quarterly meetings of the Program Directors’ Committee, providing consultation and advice to individual units on problem solving and strengthening of their educational program
  1. Chair the Internal Review/Special Review Committee for Graduate Medical Education, providing oversight of the internal review process and regular reporting to the Associate Dean and GMEC.
  2. Arrange and oversee the annual orientation process for residents and fellows, including Postgraduate Orientation Assessment (POAs), in conjunction with the Associate Dean.
  3. Assist with the professional development of program directors and their coordinators including guidance on managing residents who are struggling to meet expectations
  4. Legal compliance with policies that address issues surrounding leaves of absence, medical leaves, due process, etc.
  5. Advocate for GME at the local, state, and national level
  6. Advance the reputation and knowledge base of GME at UMHS through participation in national organizations
  7. Commitment to personal continuous professional development in GME 

Required Qualifications*

 

  • M.D. degree (or equivalent); eligible for Professor or Associate Professor faculty appointment at UM Medical School
  • At least five-years of experience with Graduate Medical Education as a program director, preferably at the University of Michigan
  • Previous participation on the Internal Review Committee preferred
  • Fluency with current ACGME requirements
  • Leadership and management experience with complex teams
  • Commitment to scholarship and continuous improvement in graduate medical education
  • Exceptional communication, organizational, and administrative skills

Background Screening

Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings.  Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.

U-M EEO/AA Statement

The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.