The University of Michigan Shared Services Center (U-M SSC) is a customer service organization focused on providing user-friendly and cost effective administrative services to the University community. The SSC offers key financial and human resource transaction services to customers through consistent processes and enabling technology.
Reporting to the Travel & Expense Services Supervisor, each T&E Processing Specialist serves as a critical member of the T&E Processing Team. Each Specialist is responsible for processing travel and expense transactions received by the SSC and completing all associated tasks. This position specifically will be tasked with processing work within T&E. The T&E Processing Specialists work collaboratively with their fellow Associates.
- Critically analyze customer service requests and decide how best to proceed
- Professionally and diplomatically communicate with customers about the status of their service requests
- Responsive to customers’ requests to make changes to expense reports
- Create and update employee expense reports in Concur, the University’s travel and expense reporting system
- Review employee expense reports that others create in Concur
- Work with other members of the U-M SSC T&E Processing Team to service customers in an organized, timely and effective way
- Apply U-M and school-/college-specific policies to Concur expense reports
- Apply federal sponsor policies to Concur expense reports, including the U.S. Office of Management & Budget A-21 Circular
- Flag expenses correctly to exclude them, as necessary, from the University indirect cost recovery (i.e. ICRX expenses)
- Follow U-M SSC protocols for creating expense reports
- Use ServiceLink, the U-M SSC’s case management system, to manage your worklist of service requests
- Provide timely, professional and friendly service to all customers
- Offer suggestions for process and service improvement
- Other duties as assigned
- High School diploma
- 1-2 years experience in a customer service setting
- Proven ability to work efficiently and effectively delivering high quality work output
- Demonstrated history of building positive and collaborative relationships in the workplace
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Success with working in a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment
- Experience providing excellent customer service to a variety of types of customers, each with unique needs and varied abilities to communicate those needs
- Proficient standard office computer skills with (i.e. Microsoft Office, Google)
- Experience using a case management or ticketing system
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Experience in a Shared Services organization
- Familiarity with administrative processes, procedures, and systems at U-M
Organizational Core Competencies and Skills:
- Advancing the Mission - Demonstrates ability to operate effectively in a manner consistent with the University of Michigan mission and culture.
- Building Relationships/Interpersonal Skills - Values organizational diversity, treats others with respect, and promotes cooperation.
- Creative Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking - Develops and creates ideas, processes, and approaches focused on the future.
- Communication - Demonstrates excellent communication skills to those at all levels throughout the University.
- Development of Self and Others - Seeks opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others by setting developmental goals and seeking performance feedback.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change - Responds positively to and champions change to others.
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation - Holds self-accountable for meeting established objectives and successfully accomplishing desired outcomes.
- Quality Service - Strives to meet the expectations of internal and external customers, firmly establishing a service first culture.
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of more than $7 billion, is a leader in higher education. U-M SSC provides administrative support related to financial and human resources in the following areas: Accounts Payable, Travel and Expense, General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Benefits, HR Data Management, Time and Leave, and Employment Process. To learn more about U-M SSC, please visit our website: www.SSC.UMICH.edu.
We offer our employees an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, a two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
The Shared Services Center seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.