Assist in the delivery of direct patient care in a busy outpatient specialty clinic setting working with the Divisions of Gastroenterology and Infectious Disease.
- Assist with various procedures (wound care, etc.)
- Assisting patients with mobility restrictions, e.g. getting out of wheelchair on to exam table
- Basic clerical tasks that require proper telephone technique, basic typing, computer and data entry skills
- Basic medical assistant competencies (EKG, medical history, vital signs etc.)
- Clean and stock exam rooms
- Injections and specimen collection and processing
- Maintain supplies
- Patient flow
- Provide patient with appropriate educational/preparation information for procedures
- Retrieve laboratory reports
- Work directly with physicians and nurses regarding patient concerns/issues/questions
- Work in MiChart (notes, update patient medication lists)
- Graduation from medical assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential
- Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others
- Documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality
- Effective time management skills/consistently uses available time effectively
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues)
- May be required to cross cover other areas
- May be required to work overtime
- Strong attention to detail
- Works well with minimal supervision
- Ability to spell correctly and use proper grammar
- Able to work in a fast paced customer friendly environment
Previous experience in:
- An ambulatory care clinical setting
- Certification as a medical assistant
- Clinical data entry
- Lab monitoring programs
- Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Appointment: 40 hours/week
Shift/Hours/Days: Monday thru Friday, 9:30 am-6:00 pm
Location: 3rd floor Taubman, Area D, GI & ID
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.