How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Administrative operational support for all SSC programs
- Act as knowledge source for university and division policies and administrative procedures. Prepare communications and reports. Order supplies and materials for events. Coordinate schedules. Participate in hiring processes. Assist with staff onboarding and off-boarding activities, including access forms, business cards, address updates. Submit computing help desk and facility requests for staff. Assist with the organization of events. Represent the SSC within the university community, when needed.
- Main Office
- Ensure the service provided at the front desk is always courteous, accurate, timely, and professional, exceeding customers’ expectations. Hire, train, support, and evaluate student assistants. Prepare work schedules and approve timesheets. Develop and update procedures manuals for student assistants. Prioritize incoming emails to SSC accounts and respond to them in a timely manner. Respond to telephone inquiries and concerns utilizing knowledge of SSC procedures and division and university policies. Debrief relevant information with Director and follow up with all parties to ensure resolution.
- Communications and campus outreach
- Develop and implement communication campaigns to promote SSC services on campus. Design posters, flyers, and infographics for print and digital communications. Produce in-depth stories, testimonials, videos, cartoons, postcards. Implement social media communications and campaigns. Collaborate with University Communications and Marketing. Participate in campus-wide committees on communications and social media.
- Purchase and maintain office supplies and equipment as needed. Process payments for purchases and contracts following university policies and procedures. Process registration and payments for conferences and other events for SSC staff. Maintain accurate documentation on expenses. Assist with reconciliation of purchasing card transactions for designated staff. Provide support for statement of activity reconciliation.
- Assistance to Director and Assistant Director
- Prepare confidential correspondence. Coordinate schedules and communication. Process data, create databases and spreadsheets for data processing. Prepare monthly, semester, and annual calendars with SSC deadlines for all staff. Assist in the creation of surveys, reports, slide presentations, infographics. Investigate and document problems and issues, involve appropriate parties, and recommend options for solutions.
- Other tasks
- Prepare reports; update procedures manuals, and other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- High school diploma
- Minimum of 3 years of administrative support experience in a professional work setting
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Positive attitude and customer-service oriented
- Demonstrated ability to treat confidential and sensitive information in a discreet fashion
- Ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines, and to display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and professional environment
- Bachelor's degree is highly preferred
- Administrative experience in higher education
- Previous experience creating, managing, and updating a database
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing communication and social media campaigns
- Demonstrated evidence of knowledge of and experience with UM policies, procedures, and systems, including MPathways, Concur, Banner9, ImageNow, among others.
- Demonstrated good organizational and problem-solving skills; accuracy and attention to detail; ability to anticipate problems and take initiative, structuring one’s own activities and using resources in ways that maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Demonstrated good work habits, dependability, punctuality, flexibility, and attendance.
- Demonstrated ability to produce outstanding reports and communication campaigns that advance the mission of the SSC
Applicants may be required to demonstrate proficiency with MS Word and Excel as part of the interview process.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.