How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Statistical Analysis of Biomedical and Educational Research (SABER) unit is the data coordinating center for several multi-center clinical trials and observational studies. We seek a highly motivated and experienced individual who will provide supervision and leadership of our growing group of project managers and clinical monitors. This individual will help to establish consistent tools, processes and workflow within the project management functional area, between project management and other SABER functional areas and external collaborators. This individual will also be responsible for overseeing effective day-to-day operational aspects of multiple clinical research studies as an individual contributor. The position requires travel within the United States to participating clinical sites and to Investigator Meetings.
Supervision Responsibilities of Project Management and Clinical Monitoring Group:
- Provide oversight and direction to SABER project managers and clinical monitors in accordance with SABERS’s policies and procedures.
- Provide new employee onboarding, ongoing coaching, mentorship, training, and professional development opportunities.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, disciplinary action, with the assistance of HR, as appropriate.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork among project managers and clinical monitors that allows for open exchange of ideas, expeditious conflict resolution, appreciation for diversity, as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness, and effective work processes to enable each employee to be successful.
- Manage the resources and activities of the group, in collaboration with SABER’s managing director, to ensure that studies are managed and monitored in a timely, thoughtful, and efficient manner.
- Maintain employee work schedules including project assignments, time off, and project coverage.
Leadership Responsibilities of Project Management and Clinical Monitoring:
- Lead project management group to meet the organization's expectations for productivity, quality, and goal accomplishment. This includes implementing and updating standard operating procedures, develop training programs, coordinate common work practices among project/ clinical managers to ensure the SABER group is adhering to best practices and all relevant guidelines.
- Plan and implement improved tools and processes to improve the quality of project deliverables and help the PM/CM team to fulfill their roles more effectively and efficiently.
- Work collaboratively with functional groups to develop workflows and processes to streamline cross-functional study activities.
- Take an active role in contributing to the organizational commitment to build and maintain a culture of success.
- Appropriately communicate information through team meetings, one-on-one meetings, and appropriate email, phone, and face-to-face interpersonal communication, as well as implement best practices for effective communication by the PM/CM group.
- Participate as a member of SABER’s leadership team and communicate regularly with SABER’s functional managers and directors.
- Contribute to writing proposals, reports for funding agencies and articles for publication.
- Present results of innovative project management or clinical monitoring initiatives at professional meetings and other forums.
Project Management and Clinical Monitoring Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight, project management, project coordination and clinical monitoring for multi-center clinical trials and observational studies, as needed.
- Be responsible for all data coordinating center IRBMED submissions, including new protocols, amendments, aggregate safety reporting, and scheduled annual reviews.
- Be the interface between the data coordinating center and the clinical sites, maintaining positive and cooperative relationships in day-to-day interactions with investigators and study sites.
- Participate in the design, development and execution of clinical trials and observational studies, including:
- Create and update study manual of operations and standard data collection procedures for all participating clinical sites.
- Maintain master trial files, and manage the study progress in relation to project timelines.
- Monitor clinical sites for compliance with GCP and ICH guidelines, including completion of regulatory documents and proper completion of case report forms.
- Assist with design of case report forms, database validation and error variables for data entry.
- Prepare clinical sites for study start-up by reviewing and tracking regulatory documents, ordering start-up supplies, and conducting site initiation visits.
- Conduct ongoing site monitoring visits, and prepare detailed monitoring visit reports.
- Screen all adverse events for seriousness and facilitate the AE/SAE reporting process to ensure that all adverse events are reported to the study sponsor and all participating site IRBs.
- Prepare and submit IND and annual reports to FDA.
- Master’s degree in an appropriate field or an equivalent combination of education and experience are necessary.
- At least 6 years’ experience in clinical trials research, preferably as a project/clinical manager.
- At least 3 years of significant administrative/supervisory experience, preferably in academic or research units.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, integrate activities, and manage change.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement workflow process improvements within a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Able to multi-task and manage competing priorities effectively.
- Ability to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of responsibilities.
- Excellent organization, verbal, written and interpersonal skills are required.
- Understanding of ICH, GCP and FDA regulations and guidelines with regard to the conduct of human subject research.
- Willingness to travel 10% - 25% of the time, when necessary.
- Training/experience as a clinical monitor, including experience in reading medical records, is desirable.
- Certification as a clinical research associate or the equivalent is desirable.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic staff (leader/member) with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.