Taubman Center Urology Ambulatory Care Unit
We are a University of Michigan Medicine Ambulatory Care Unit that is dedicated to providing the highest quality urologic health care services for both male and female adult patients. Our clinic is located in the Taubman Center Building on the main campus of University Hospital in a vibrant atmosphere that provides intellectual stimulation and growth! We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-focused individuals who will share in the goal of crafting the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Why work for Michigan Medicine Urology?
The University of Michigan Department of Urology is ranked #1 in the state of Michigan and #7 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report. You will play an integral role within Urology and our institution by assisting in providing the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. Don’t hesitate – join our team today.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- 75% Tuition Reimbursement
- Growth opportunities to higher seniority positions
- Management that provides quality training and direction
- Direct communication and partnership with Physicians and Advanced Practice Providers
What skills will you master?
Our Urology Medical Assistants will specialize in areas that no other Department offers, and we are excited to help you grow your skills. Not only will you set up and assist with urologic procedures such as Cystoscopies, Cystometrograms, Prostate Biopsies, Penile Dopplers and Urodynamics, you will also perform, Uroflow, Bladder Scanning, and Urinalysis. You will provide clinic assistance by taking vital signs, drawing blood, preparing specimens and assisting patients, disinfecting urologic equipment, maintaining Urology Lab, order point of care testing in MiChart, our Michigan Medicine electronic medical record, and instruct patients on procedures per provider’s written protocols.
In addition to these specialized skills and other abilities you already possess as a Medical Assistant, you will perform:
- Patient intake and rooming duties in the clinic
- Document health information in the Electronic Medical Record system
- Assist patients with FMLA, Disability and Return to Work paperwork
- Coordinate patient flow throughout the clinic
- Maintain, order, and assemble equipment, order clinic equipment and supplies – including medications
- Maintain stock levels in treatment rooms and exam rooms
You will be required to do some moderate standing and walking, as well as lift, position, push, and/or transfer patients.
As part of the orientation training process, your training will be held at multiple locations during your first few weeks of employment.
- We do require that you have a High school diploma or GED
- You are required to have either graduated from a Medical Assistant program OR have an equivalent combination of education and 1-3 years of experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team setting is needed for success in this role
- You must be able to demonstrate active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills
- A knowledge of basic medical terminology is necessary
- Certification as an MA
- Additional formal education in a health care field
What will your work schedule look like?
Monday thru Friday 9:00am to 5:30 pm. The facility is open 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM Monday through Friday, and 7:00 AM –7:00 PM on the first and third Thursdays of the month.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.