How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary will vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) Administration has an immediate opening for a Financial Analyst Senior in our Finance area. This position will support and directly report to the ITS Administration, Director of Finance.
The Financial Analyst Senior participates in the development of analysis to support costing and rate-setting activities in ITS by working with internal ITS staff and other financial staff to develop concise costing, rates and budgets, including documentation of all assumptions. The Financial Analyst Senior supports a variety of projects including, but not limited to, the following: Costing of ITS products and services; implementation of costing methodology and practices for ITS; and assisting in the conversion of current funding model to new funding model for ITS. Develops and prepares for submission rate requests for various ITS products and services, including analysis of startup and ongoing costs and revenue projections, working with service providers and other financial staff. Models the impact of various rate alternatives. Prepares financial and operational reviews and projections of activity and costs; analyzes and interprets budget-to-actual variances and assists in developing accurate and timely internal reports.
ITS Administration Mission Statement
We are administrative partners and stewards that provide support to equip and mobilize ITS to achieve its mission.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
Develops, reviews and analyzes budgets, forecasts and performance reports for assigned areas, taking into consideration policies, industry standards, procedures and requirements. Organizes and implements the budget and finance functions and performance to assure long-term financial strength and flexibility to respond to financial contingencies as they may arise.
Provides timely and comprehensive analysis of annual budget including financial reports and analyzing financial trends in order to assist leadership team in making decisions and allocation resources. Reviews ITS budgets based on actual performance, previous budget figures, estimated revenue, expense reports, forecasts and other factors in accordance to established guidelines and university Standard Practice Guides (SPGs). Maintains and updates standing monthly forecast reports for all ITS funds. Ensures the integrity and accuracy of monthly reports.
Ensures rate requests are in compliance with Federal Uniform Guidance and university policies. Completes required forms for review, signature and submission to the Office of Financial Analysis. Develops and maintains an inventory of approved and pending rate requests. Reviews, documents and recommends changes for internal recharge rates for services. Answers questions and helps to resolve issues with complicated rate requests or issues.
Coordinates annual ITS rate letter renewal and conducts rate reviews on a continuous basis. Ensures university compliance for all auxiliary units. Monitors corresponding reserves and manages assets. Leads the ITS customer billing process to verify current customer base, validates rates and monitors year-end projections. Collaborates on service enhancement projects, including: cost analysis of products and services, systems to manage service costing and asset management and financial reports.
Performs analytical studies and conversion of data into concise, understandable reports. Leverages internal systems and data to answer questions, interprets data and drive decisions. Builds clearly understandable analyses and models, documenting all assumptions.
Ensures effectiveness and efficiency in the business operations and the existence of appropriate internal controls to execute the financial responsibilities of ITS. Ensures compliance with university, local, state and federal budgetary reporting requirements.
Stays current with assigned technologies; maintains and updates knowledge of related IT technology, policies and procedures. This can include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Building Relationships / Interpersonal Skills: Respects diversity; demonstrates respect for the opinion of others; values each person's contribution to the team. Demonstrates the ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Demonstrates the ability to address and manage conflict and offer constructive criticism and feedback in a positive manner.
Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking: Demonstrates the ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems. Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo. Demonstrates the ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve complex problems. Plans and acts strategically, analyzing data and utilizing trend information.
Communication: Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably and effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers. Demonstrates the ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying style to fit the audience.
Flexibility / Adaptability to Change: Proactively proposes and implements changes: surfaces resistance to change; works to diminish resistance; and organizes resources to effectively implement large-scale change.
Leadership / Achievement Orientation: Addresses current issues, responds quickly and effectively in a crisis, determines future priorities and leads ad hoc or project teams. Demonstrates the ability to develop specific action plans, achieves deadlines or milestones, accepts accountability for mistakes, takes corrective action, exercises positive influence and resolves team conflicts with finesse.
Quality Service: Demonstrates stewardship in understanding and helping others to understand the impact of recommendations to short-term and long-term needs of the organization. Develops strategic partnerships with customers based on an in-depth understanding of the customer’s business objectives and leads customers to new ways of working using products and services.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, finance or related field with thorough understanding of basic accounting and financial principles.
- Five (5) or more years of progressive experience as a financial or business analyst with accounting, budgeting, and financial analysis, including some experience with fund accounting or related experience
- Demonstrated ability to:
- utilize spreadsheet software to model and analyze data,
- interpret information or data, identify conclusions and generate potential courses of action and apply sound judgement in choosing a specific course of action in resolving issues,
- gather organizational data, extract information from it,
- write reports and present financial information in a clear and precise manner,
- utilize analytical and problem-solving abilities and create strategic planning,
- interpret and communicate sensitive financial data and complex issues to a varied audience via email, letters and/or clearly developed presentations skills, including the preparation of business cases and proposals.
- Experience in costing and rate-setting.
- Strong interpersonal and communiation skills including the ability to effectively communicate and work with a variety of individuals and units.
- Capability of adapting to rapidly changing work assignments.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in analysis.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and collaboration applications.
- A Master’s Degree and/or CPA/CMA.
- Understanding of ERP systems including the ability to retrieve required data using data warehouse query tools.
- Experience in a higher education business setting, particularly knowledge of University of Michigan policies and systems.
- Knowledge of fund accounting principles.
- Familiarity with Federal Uniform Guidance requirements.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.