How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary will vary depending on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Provide strategic Human Resources (HR) support in the areas of employee relations, compliance, compensation, diversity, performance management, HR analysis, process redesign, succession planning, organizational development and career development for the assigned groups within Information and Technology (ITS) and assist in executing the HR strategy for ITS. Collaborate with the HR team and the assigned management teams to support and improve organizational effectiveness, drive business results and ensure that processes are consistently communicated and implemented.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
As a member of the ITS HR team:
- Provide support to the assigned organizations in the areas of employee relations, performance management, retention, staffing, and compensation to achieve organizational effectiveness.
- Facilitate salary planning to ensure equitable and timely implementation. Identify compensation issues and recommend appropriate action.
- Ensure open and frequent communication on HR matters within the organization.
- Manage projects and/or participate as a project member on university-wide HR initiatives.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for ITS HR group in recruitment and selection and at least one of the following: diversity, employment law, organizational development or employee/labor relations.
- Support and champion organizational change initiatives and assist ITS leaders, as necessary.
- Participate in the development of HR programs to support ongoing growth and capability.
- Stay abreast of current trends and issues within HR and mentor junior staff.
- Investigate and resolve complex employee issues concerns including discrimination or harassment complaints.
As an HR Partner to the client group:
- Provide strategic and tactical management and HR consulting to the assigned ITS groups during a period of substantial change. Proactively update assigned groups within ITS on HR-related activities and initiatives.
- Partner with functional managers and HR Director to assess client business needs. Use data points to identify the health of client group. Define the key problem areas and associated strategies and action plans to solve problems/leverage opportunities.
- Facilitate collaborative problem solving strategies to resolve employee relations issues through effective communication with all levels of employees.
- Conduct new hire orientation and new employee follow-up as well as exit interviews. Identify trends. Recommend and implement on-boarding and retention strategies.
- Perform management and employee training for HR policies and processes.
- Respond to inquiries regarding policies, procedures and programs.
- Provide training, coaching and reinforcement to ensure successful implementation of the performance management process to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within the organization. Work with leaders to ensure that performance reviews are done in a timely manner.
- Work closely with the management team to understand and implement the recruiting/selection plan.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Creative Problem Solving: The ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems. The ability to define problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solutions and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo.
Flexibility / Adaptability to Change: The ability to understand and accept the need for change, cooperating in implementation and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives. The ability to plan, implement and communicate effective change approaches within established and changing deadlines.
Building Relationships / Interpersonal Skills: The ability to value organizational diversity; treat others with respect; promote cooperation and effectively manage relationships.
Leadership / Achievement Orientation: The ability to influence others to accomplish the mission in ways consistent with the values of the organization; the ability to hold self (and others) accountable to meet goals and objectives; accomplish desired outcomes; and set an example of integrity and ethics through demonstrated performance.
Communication: The ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably and effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers and groups, varying style to fit the audience, actively communicating with those with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding.
- Four (4) year college degree in Human Resources (HR), business or related area or equivalent work experience.
- Six (6) years or more of progressive HR generalist experience.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures relevant to HR.
- Must have strong compensation knowledge and hands-on experience with job analysis, general compensation practices and salary structure design. This must include executive level compensation.
- Must have a proven track record of relationship building with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to handle employee conflicts and differences by interpreting verbal and non-verbal behavior, detecting perceptions and the needs of employees, understanding and valuing employee differences.
- Demonstrated business acumen and the ability to understand business strategy and goals.
- Ability to move about campus and ITS buildings, including local travel.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Proficiency with Excel to include organization and reporting as well as other MS Office products and HRIS.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills to interact with all levels of an organization and diverse cultures.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Strong organizational and multitasking capabilities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- A Master’s Degree in Human Resources or Organizational/Industrial Psychology or related field.
- PHR, SPHR, and/or SHRM certification preferred.
- PeopleSoft experience preferred.
- Demonstrated HR knowledge and experience in a technology organization strongly preferred.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.