How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Provide supervision and support to a team of schedulers who work in a complex specialty that provides care at multiple clinic locations, servicing both adult and pediatric patients in a call center setting.
Basic Function and Responsibility
Assist in the identification and resolution of operating problems related to call centering, scheduling, and process implementation.
Understands Aspect phone functions, monitors queue status; provides help to agents when appropriate; applies call centering techniques in day to day workflow. When acting as an agent, asks leading questions to remain in control of the conversation; verifies patient demographics, PCP and referring physician. Has continuous awareness of phone stats; utilizes real time data to make adjustments during the day to reach goals.
Oversees execution of scheduling requests entering our system from non-live call paths (Entry of faxes into the work queue via creation of referral shell; Call Center MiChart Scheduling Pool; MiChart work queues urgent consults, etc. Ensures work queues and call center pools are worked in a timely manner meeting 48-hour turnaround target. Delegates daily work assignments, oversees work flow, creates a staffing plan that successfully meets business needs and enables achievement of ambulatory care goals for service level, % calls answered, etc.
Collection and Maintenance of Phone Stat data (Knows how to retrieve data; shares call data with team and individually as appropriate; uses data to manage; shares data with ACU leadership monthly.
Call monitoring: Consistent in practice, provides timely constructive feedback to agents, provides positive feedback and feedback involving opportunities for improvement, coaches for behavior modification/success.
Proficient in Cadence Scheduling, Template building and editing. Maintain the templates for the entire ACU, responsible for ensuring timely changes and updates.
Responsible for the Maintenance of Call Center Website, Call Center Standards and Call Center training material.
Leads by example, provides real time guidance; is the “go to” person for questions and assistance; holds monthly team meetings with meaningful agendas, provides opportunities for all team members to participate.
Achievement of Ambulatory Care Goals (95% of calls answered, 80% service level; 80% new patient lead time, etc.)
Continuous Improvement: Improve processes and systems so as to reduce waste and wait time and increase productivity and first-time quality by learning and applying the principles of lean thinking and the Michigan Quality System.
Create an environment conducive to teamwork by fostering team problem-solving and decision-making processes, establishing effective feedback systems to and from team members, and implementing team member recognition processes.
Responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service while facilitating communications between patients, public, payers, referring physicians and other health care providers.
Maintain excellent rapport, via the telephone and/or in person, with parents, patients, faculty, and staff, within a team setting.
Act as liaison between call center staff and others within the clinic or health center. Serve as a role model for exemplary customer service; coach and mentor call center staff.
Demonstrate an excellent work ethic, serving as a role model in all areas of call center operations: adherence to start, break, and lunch times, adherence to proper utilization of Aspect phone system, phone encounters and call templates.
Provide relief support for other staff as assigned.
Provide guidance and leadership to the Call Center Agents, acting as front line “go to” person for questions and assistance.
Help to oversee and monitor day-to-day call center operations and processes for customer satisfaction and efficiency.
Foster positive communication among all staff.
Maintain confidentiality in all matters.
Call center agents within Otolaryngology.
1. Assist in the identification and resolution of operating problems related to call centering, scheduling, and process implementation.
2. Coordinate call center clerical activities, which includes setting priorities for call center staff, lunch times, delegating work assignments/tasks, overseeing work flow, etc.
3. Demonstrate an excellent work ethic, serving as a role model in all areas of call center operations: including exemplary customer service; coach and mentor call center staff and adherence to proper utilization of Aspect phone functions, e.g. call work, sign out, appropriate internet usage, etc.
4. Provide strategic direction, guidance and leadership support to the Otolaryngology call center team to identify opportunities for competency development and performance improvement, administers trainings for staff.
5. Manages and streamlines scheduling of appropriate new patients to OR cases to generate yield.
6. Oversee corrective action including monitoring, coaching, training and discipline, processes staff performance evaluations, and makes recommendations for professional development and growth.
7. Manage and monitor day-to-day call center operations and processes for customer satisfaction and efficiency; identifies areas in need of improvement and makes suggestions for continuous quality improvement (CQI), evaluating benchmarks, metrics, trends, daily review and reporting of service levels, call volumes and other statistical data.
8. Analyze agent performance data, identifying process improvement opportunities and execute prioritized process improvement in support of multiple stakeholders (both patient and business) needs.
9. Adhere to and ensure staff is following the established call center quality standards including scheduling matrix.
10. Effectively establish and maintain working relationships with peers and constituents at all levels of the Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery department.
11. Proven ability to work independently and as a team leader/member ensuring that key stakeholders needs are met. Serve as liaison between call center staff and other clinical and administrative staff members.
12. Maintain administrative confidentiality in all matters
13. Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a healthcare environment/organization.
- Medical terminology competency is necessary.
- Ability to multi-task and to work in a fast paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service delivery and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills are necessary.
- Ability to manage stress effectively and professionally.
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities in a very busy setting.
- Ability to exhibit professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated friendly, warm, articulate telephone manner with a clear, well-modulated speaking voice.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Healthcare or Business related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- MiChart, Cadence and Aspect proficient
- 3-5 years of call center or customer service experience.
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of insurance rules and resources/references.
- Experience implementing process changes.
Site Work Schedule: 8am - 5pm; Monday through Friday
North Campus Administrative Complex (NCAC)
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.