Manages and oversees training of new staff, ensures on-going process and policy training for all Advising & Eligibility staff as well as other unit staff as necessary. Manages assignment of application materials review; oversees application review statistics. Supervises Financial Aid Administrators and Student Services representatives. Assists with general management of Advising and Eligibility staff; assists in the development of new policies and procedures; provides expertise in financial aid eligibility determination and in client-service expectations.
Supervision Exercised: Direct supervision of the daily activities of A&E staff in coordination with the other assistant directors in the unit.
Supervision Received: Position is supervised by the Associate Director for Advising and Eligibility.
45% Training and Application Review
- Review, revise and maintain an employee training program for staff new to the Advising and Eligibility unit, including client service and eligibility components. Establishes current employee in-service training program to provide information and updates regulatory and process guidance on a continual basis.
- Facilitates training to incoming unit staff, coordinates system access and compliance documentation. Provides routine feedback, training updates, and periodic evaluation of work to A&E staff in partnership Associate Director and fellow Assistant Directors.
- Provides regular reviews of staff in the area of application review and ensures manual packaging compliance. Reviews sample interactive packages, budget re-evaluations and Needs Analysis Data Element adjustments to ensure compliance with federal, state and University policies and procedures.
- Coordinates onboarding steps for new staff in collaboration with OEM Human Resources, ITS and OFA Support Services. Advises Associate Director of training and equipment needs.
- Assists with new technology solutions and serves on committees as “expert” for application review workflows and training.
- Provides processing and other eligibility related assistance as required during peak recruitment and/or processing periods. Utilizes discretion and professional in individual student situations, regarding policies and procedures as appropriate.
30% Management and Supervision
- Assists Associate Director for Advising and Eligibility with general supervision of daily activities within A&E unit. Assigns and monitors workflow, develops and documents procedures, provides general instruction/updates, facilitates communication with other OFA units, and advises Associate Director of issues/activities/concerns.
- Supervises assigned FA staff and Student Services Center representatives. Assists in hiring, selection and development of staff members including performance management.
- Identifies issues and resolves problems. Advises A&E staff on pertinent issues (e.g. regulations, statistics, processing issues/ concerns/ ideas, etc.) and develops recommendations for approval. Makes recommendations to Associate Director regarding employment, annual performance evaluations and merit program.
25% Advising and Eligibility
- Assists with the NSLDS monitoring process. Oversees staff responsible for NSLDS monitoring including Loan Borrowing Limits review.
- Process financial aid application materials, including initial review, packaging, verification and follow-up.
- Counsels and advises students and parents on available financial aid. Assists students in making responsible financial decisions and in determining the possible effects in related areas. Refers student to other offices and agencies as appropriate.
- Assists FA staff assigned to the Dental School and the Business School with management and administration of the financial aid and scholarship activities. Provides additional/backup coverage as needed.
- Act in lieu of Associate Director, Senior Associate Director or Director as needed to represent the Office of Financial Aid at meetings, councils and/or professional events.
- Participates in development of forms and informational materials.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of federal, state and University policies and regulations governing financial aid programs.
- Represent the unit at work coordination meetings and participates as a task team member. Represents OFA at professional conferences, workshops and other professional development activities as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of 3 years of financial aid experience, preferably within the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid.
- Strong foundation in customer service and/or counseling.
- Demonstrated understanding of related Federal regulations and University policies.
- Must be willing to complete occasional travel/ week-end staffing.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- The ability to manage and organize complex information; ability to use analysis and critical thinking skills to solve problems.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and equal opportunity. Experience with students and work environments of a diverse background.
- Experience or familiarity with related student service business processes such as student records, registration and student accounts.
- Demonstrates an ability to incorporate innovative practices into the workplace to enhance effectiveness and efficiency.
The Office of Enrollment Management (OEM) furthers the mission of the University of Michigan by using a strategic and collaborative approach to recruiting and developing diverse leaders and citizens who challenge the present and enrich the future. OEM carries out this work through four integrated departments that use data and analysis in innovative ways to inform decisions and develop processes that ensure the best possible experience for students, from prospect through graduation. These four departments include the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Office of Financial Aid, Office of New Student Programs, and Office of the Registrar.
The Student Services Center is composed of representatives from the Offices of Financial Aid and Registrar. This position will provide direction to staff who assist with business-related University processes, address student concerns and requests within the SSC.
OEM values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to the development of a diverse and culturally intelligent workforce who thrive and contribute to an inclusive environment.
For more information about our DEI mission visit the Enrollment Management website.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.