How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning at the University of Michigan seeks a highly qualified Director of Student Affairs to oversee staff and programs that support student development from pre-prospect stages (e.g. pipeline programs) through recruiting, admissions, new student orientation, records, advising, student life and co-curricular experiences for all degree programs.
Taubman College promotes the public good by engaging a diverse constituency in purpose-driven learning and research that focuses on the built environment. Consistently named among the best architecture and planning schools in the country, the college prepares graduates to lead the professions, organizations, and institutions that shape our world at every scale. Investments in digital and material making, new master’s degrees, and enhanced facilities have made the college a leading site of advanced work, particularly in robotics, fabrication, and material systems. Capacity building in community engagement, pipeline programs, and justice initiatives have made Taubman College a leader in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the academy and in professional practice. Faculty fellowships and research grants have cultivated a robust experimental design culture. Through interdisciplinary work with field-leading units at one of the world’s greatest public research universities, Taubman faculty and students are prototyping a better future.
The Director of Student Affairs occupies a key position within Taubman College, working collaboratively with academic leadership, faculty, staff, students, and alumni to promote student recruitment and enrollment, enhance the quality of student learning, wellness, and engagement. The Director will provide strategic leadership, direction, and oversight for activities related to academic, administrative and student services across all degree programs. These activities include recruitment, admissions, financial aid, academic advising, records and registration, academic standards, curricular/co- curricular learning activities, and student support services. We seek a proven leader with exceptional interpersonal, communication, and management skills with demonstrated excellence in the design and delivery of services that foster enrollment, and the personal, academic, and professional development necessary for a diverse community of students. The Director will play a key role in the development and implementation of programming that supports the College’s mission and goals and provides opportunities to students for holistic development through curricular support and co-curricular involvement.
Provide strategic leadership and direction regarding recruitment and admissions, student life and academic affairs activities. Work collaboratively and foster effective relationships with Taubman faculty and staff. Advise senior leadership on all aspects of the student experience and provide student development perspective for strategic college level discussions. Serve as key liaison between the leadership team and the faculty on all student affairs matters.
- A master's degree and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in the field of student services or a combination of experience in student services with at least three (3) years at a management level.
- Evidence of and demonstrated success in creating an inclusive, service-oriented environment for a multicultural student body. Ambitious, energetic and hands-on leader who engages stakeholders in planning and decision-making and supports staff transactional processing as needed.
- Proven ability to foster, work in, and appreciate an interdisciplinary and diverse community environment.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate strategic plans, implement programs, and evaluate the success of these initiatives.
- Demonstrated curiosity and ability to develop and pursue multiple strategic initiatives that foster student and administrative success in a manner that aligns with Taubman College mission and goals.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data for decision-making, use Customer Relationships Management tools and other data gathering software tools.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor, manage, and develop a high functioning work team, to collaborate across administrative and academic units, to engage with faculty, and to build consensus.
- Demonstrated capacity to integrate the evolving role of technology and social media in all aspects of student affairs work.
- Demonstrated ability to handle crises effectively and to solve problems pro-actively and creatively.
- Demonstrated success in interpersonal relations, collaboration, reasoning, and exercising sound judgment.
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer proficiency, data sense, detail orientation, and organizational skills.
- Understanding of Architecture and Urban Planning concepts, goals and mission