How to Apply
Some things about you:
You are an intellectually curious, creative problem solver. You lead by listening, by collaborating, and by encouraging. You think impractically before layering in constraints. You challenge yourselves and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping an organization and community to realize its potential.
A little bit about us:
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential education grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Produce designs, prototypes and graphics for web and application products
- Implement application designs using HTML/CSS/JS
- Collaborate with other designers and developers to conceptualize and iterate on application interfaces
- Interact with various stakeholders as needed, including analytics and research teams, end users, and technology partners
- Collaborate closely with Academic Innovation software developers, instructional designers, faculty, and students
- Analyze software design choices faced by AI project teams and make recommendations, based on in-depth reviews and analysis of available options
- Employ a pragmatic approach which appreciates the trade-off between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop overall product design, where required
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, User Experience Design or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with brand development and design, (typography, color palette, logo design)
- Experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, and similar design tools
- Experience implementing all stages of software design (User Flow Diagrams, Wireframes, Mockups, CSS/HTML)
- Experience applying methodologies of user experience design and research to website, mobile, and product development
- Strong verbal and visual communication skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience working with and designing for dynamic content
- Experience with CSS Preprocessors (LESS, Sass, SCSS, etc.)
- Experience with responsive web design and device-agnostic design principles and practices
- Familiarity with templating languages or frameworks such as Haml, Jinja, Django, etc.
- Have participated in the successful development of early stage software projects from the idea phase, through scaling up for eventual launch, and into sustained support
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.