How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Candidate will be responsible for scheduling surgical procedures. Cancel and reschedule OR cases as needed. Communicate with the patient to confirm OR date. Provide diagnosis and/or procedure codes to obtain approval for surgery. Obtain proper insurance address and documentation requirements for the letter of medical necessity to be sent. Enter outpatient surgery authorizations. Track pending authorizations. Schedule patients for clinic visits, consultations in other clinics, diagnostic studies and ambulatory surgery. Instruct patients on preparations needed for appointments. Relinquish OR time if surgeon does not have cases to fill the rooms. Utilize available OR rooms for other dedicated surgeons. Work within a team model providing cross coverage, as necessary. Communicate clinic schedule changes to Clinic Manager. Manage in-basket messages. Complete insurance, FMLA, PT or other documents timely. Answer phones calls promptly and professionally. Manage faxes, copying and scanning as needed. Create correspondence, documents or perform other tasks for patients as directed by physicians and/or supervisor. Provide back-up support to the other services, when necessary. Participate in staff meetings and lean initiatives.
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- This position requires excellent customer service skills to patient, families, faculty, staff and peers.
- Must be patient and have a nurturing personality when dealing with anxious patients.
- All candidates must demonstrate a positive and professional attitude, providing outstanding customer service in all interactions.
- Must be a team player with the ability to receive directions and be respectful at all times.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills with excellent computer knowledge in a medical office/outpatient practice.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
- Excellent attendance is vital to this position.
- Staff members in this classification are expected to exercise judgment in identifying problems, determining cause and implementing solutions.
- Surgery scheduling experience
This position will work 8:00am to 5pm Monday through Friday, with the exception of meetings or coverage when necessary
Location is at Orthopaedic Surgery – Taubman Center
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.