How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
ABOUT THE STEPHEN M. ROSS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan is a diverse learning community grounded in the principle that business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today's dynamic global economy. The Ross School of Business mission is to develop leaders who make a positive difference in the world. Through thought and action, members of the Ross community drive change and innovation that improves business and society.
Ross is consistently ranked among the world's leading business schools. Academic degree programs include the BBA, MBA, Part-time MBA (Evening and Weekend formats), Executive MBA, Global MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Supply Chain Management, Master of Management, and PhD. In addition, the school delivers open-enrollment and custom executive education programs targeting general management, leadership development, and strategic human resource management.
About the Department
The Office of Development and Alumni Relations drives the fundraising and alumni relations activities of the Stephen M. Ross School of Business.
The Alumni Relations Program is focused on engaging Ross alumni worldwide. This position implements programs and provides programmatic offerings to strengthen the alumni bond. The Alumni Relations Assistant Director will work closely with and report to the Senior Director to build and execute the overall Alumni Relations effort at the Stephen M. Ross School of Business. This position will be responsible for the alumni engagement programming beginning with the student giving process and throughout the lifetime of the alum. This individual requires the ability to travel occasionally to represent the Ross School of Business as required.
Reunion Tailgate and Milestone Reunion Programs
• Manage Reunion programs including all logistics, marketing/communications, promotional materials, volunteer management, etc.
• Coordinate with Ross Events to create a spectacular blue-chip brand experience.
• Work with Development Team to convert Reunion attendance into giving.
• Concurrently coordinate multiple milestone reunion volunteer networks.
• Serve as a liaison to University of Michigan Office of Reunion and Reunion Giving regarding milestone year efforts.
• Coordinate Emeritus celebration.
• Implement post Reunion survey to evaluate alumni feedback for continuous improvement.
• Create meaningful engagement points to grow an alum’s connection with the School to ultimately deliver a more participative relationship in action and dollars.
• Manage relationships with volunteers with all tier 3 & 4 domestic alumni clubs. Will include: recruiting volunteers, training club leaders and regional contacts, planning and promoting club events and regional activities, developing written and electronic communications, recruiting faculty participation for club events, as well as managing budgets and club event payments/contracts.
• Serve as secondary contact for web-based communication resources.
• Work closely with Marketing and Communications staff to ensure the Ross brand and messaging is implemented consistently across alumni clubs.
• Work with the Development & Alumni Relations team to create a comprehensive approach to alumni engagement and build a strong alumni brand.
Alumni Board of Governors (ABOG) Administrative Management
• Provide administrative support and point of contact to the Alumni Board of Governors
• Maintain database and contact info for ABOG
• Coordinate committee conference calls
• Coordinate twice yearly on-site ABOG meetings
• Coordinate the annual alumni awards process
• Conduct new member orientation at ABOG meetings
Data Management and Communications
• Ensure all alumni data and engagement points are current and in the system.
• Manage existing communications tools (Drupal, RightNow, Alumni Club Connection, LinkedIn, etc.).
• Contributes to our positive and inclusive work community by building trusting partnerships across the school, continually learning, creating impactful experiences, and working with a sense of ownership for outcomes. Approaches this work with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind; treating others with respect, dignity, and in a manner where individuals feel they belong; listens, values feedback, and learns from the perspectives of others.
• Provide administrative support to the Associate Director of Alumni Relations
• Assist with special projects within the Office of Development & Alumni Relations
• Order and maintain inventory of branded Ross Alumni swag
• Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas - fundraising, development, marketing, advertising, event planning and execution, public or alumni relations, volunteer management, communications or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Excellent communication skills and some experience in public speaking
• Successful demonstration of initiative, organizational skills, leadership skills, team orientation and commitment to customer service
• Proven ability to successfully interact with a diverse group of people
• Ability to work independently and to exercise initiative
• Strong computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Office environment
• Ability to perform multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail and deadlines.
• Professional demeanor and presentation
• Demonstrated ability to design, direct and manage significant program initiatives is strongly preferred
• Knowledge of University policies, rules and regulations
• Familiarity with database and website management
• Demonstrated managerial and team leadership skills are preferred
Skills testing is not required.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
• The person in this position routinely presents information at events. Requires the ability to travel to various locations to conduct work and deliver materials
• The person in this position routinely communicates with students and alumni about programs, events, activities, etc.
• The person in this position occasionally moves through the facility to attend meetings/events and access files or information
• The person in this position occasionally moves materials weighing up to 30 pounds to locations for events.
• Domestic and/or international travel may be required
• Will require work during early mornings, nights, and/or weekends
Michigan Ross values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of diverse and culturally intelligent staff who thrive and contribute to a positive and inclusive environment.
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.