How to Apply
Applications will be accepted only through the University of Michigan jobs website. Visit www.umjobs.org and search for job ID 157633. Applications must include both cover letter and resume to be considered. Application deadline: Tuesday, May 29, 2018.
No phone calls, please. All applicants invited for an interview will be asked to submit relevant work samples (e.g., blog posts, podcasts, videos, twitter feeds, etc.).
The Senior Manager of Digital Media reports to and works closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications. This person is responsible for managing UMS’s online promotional and communications efforts from content development to distribution. The ideal candidate for this hands-on position will be a strategic and creative thinker with the ability to develop larger strategy and insights and translate them into ideas and executable plans, ultimately helping UMS expand its brand presence and claim a space in the national media landscape.
These efforts will be managed through a great deal of interdepartmental collaboration, as well as coordination with University of Michigan platforms. The position ultimately supports all facets of UMS and is undertaken with an eye toward attracting audiences to UMS events (ensuring that ticket sales and attendance goals are met or exceeded), supporting educational events and fundraising campaigns, and increasing UMS’s regional and national visibility. The person in the position will work with a great deal of autonomy, collaborating with talented people internally and externally to make a valuable contribution to the organization.
This position is part of a four-person marketing department. The selected candidate will supervise one full-time position (Video Production Specialist), as well as student assistants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an overall social media, website, and email communications strategy, as well as other online engagement opportunities that arise in this ever-evolving field to support marketing efforts to deliver on audience and revenue goals
- Develop creative content and determine appropriate distribution channels that support digital media strategy
- Provide email marketing support and social media strategy for the entire organization
- Work with Director of Marketing and Communications on livestreaming and other broadcasting initiatives
STRATEGY & EXECUTION
- Develop and implement visionary digital media strategy that takes into account both content production and audience-building efforts, with a desire to build a presence beyond Southeast Michigan
- Build community and engage online audiences both proactively and reactively, encouraging them to talk about UMS performances, educational activities, and the UMS brand itself
- Supervise and work with full-time Video Production Specialist to brainstorm and develop content related to performances and other related activities; provide editorial support and oversight in story development and review
- Oversee livestreaming efforts and work with senior management team on broadcasting initiatives to help tell the UMS Story
- Collaborate across departments to create, produce and edit online content that engages audiences, including but not limited to archival research, blog posts, artist interviews, behind-the scenes content, video, contest development, and more
WEBSITE & EMAIL
- Write, review, and update all content for dynamic website pages, including but not limited to artist pages, education events, ancillary events, rush tickets, audio playlists, and home page feeds
- Regularly review, edit, and update other content areas of website. Develop and test new website content as needed
- In conjunction with Marketing Coordinator, build and deploy series of UMS e-mail campaigns that support communications efforts, such as special events, weekly newsletter, monthly educational event listings, promotional e-mails, student e-mails, and family e-mails. Create gifs, upload photos, manage lists. UMS is in the process of switching from Mail2 to Prospect2. Manage and grow e-mail database
- Collaborate with Patron Services department to develop communications strategy for TNEW, UMS’s online ticket sales platform, to ensure that messaging reflects overarching needs and priorities of the organization
SOCIAL MEDIA & ONLINE ADVERTISING
- Serve as primary content creator and moderator for UMS’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts, as well as other social media sites as they develop and gain traction in our community. Enlist other UMS staff members to assist in this effort where practical and appropriate (e.g., during major residency)
- Craft and proof editorial and design content, synthesizing information into concise messaging for professional or lay audiences
- Work with University of Michigan social media managers to develop cross-departmental content
- Attend events to serve as social media voice for the organization
- Work closely with digital media partner Capacity Interactive to develop content and strategy for UMS Facebook advertising campaigns
- Develop strategy for and implement Google Grant for UMS’s AdWords account. Develop and recommend additional SEO strategy
- Establish measurements and success metrics to benchmark efforts. These may be inputs, outputs, or outcomes, depending on the platform
- Based on current analytics, define possible areas for growth and improvement
- Provide detailed analysis and accurate reporting on demographic, behavioral, and e-commerce metrics for website, email, and social media properties
- Assist in other projects as requested, including but not limited to development of new initiatives, website re-design/development, branding efforts, and proofreading
- Attend weekly marketing meetings and provide input into marketing and communications strategy, goals, and objectives
- Supervise full-time Video Production Specialist, as well as student assistants who support email and social media creation efforts
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Business, Music or related field, or significant prior work experience in online media
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to effectively manage numerous projects simultaneously and in various stages of development with minimal oversight. Must be productive and flexible under pressure
- Experience working within a CMS (ex. Wordpress)
- Experience with Google Tag Manager
- Experience developing and implementing campaigns using Google AdWords and Facebook Ads systems
- Basic knowledge of HTML and Photoshop
- Experience using email marketing system such as Constant Contact, Mail2, or Wordfly
- Excellent writing and editing skills with assiduous attention to detail
- At least 4-5 years of experience working in marketing and/or communications, with performing arts experience strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Tessitura a plus
- Must be creative, flexible, open-minded, and enjoy experimenting with ideas where outcomes are not known
- Ability to work as part of team that values brainstorming and creative input, as well as to work independently and take initiative
- Early adopter/follower of new media trends
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Familiarity with video production and editing software, such as Premier Pro or FinalCut Pro, a plus
- Knowledge of and interest in performing arts and artists
- Friendly and cooperative demeanor; supportive and contributing attitude
- Willingness to undertake all job tasks, from high level strategy to hands-on day-to-day operations
- Willing to work evenings and weekends as needed, including last minute for emergency updates
- This position involves traveling to various locations on and off campus
- Routinely moves equipment and boxes weighing up to 40 pounds for various events
The University Musical Society, or UMS, is an independent multidisciplinary performing arts presenter with a long and deep affiliation with the University of Michigan (U-M), and is located in the center of the Ann Arbor campus. A National Medal of Arts recipient in 2014, and the nation's first performing arts series at a major university, UMS offers 70-80 mainstage performances each season in 7-10 U-M and Southeast Michigan venues. Since its founding in 1879, UMS has presented top-ranking international artists including orchestras, chamber music, solo recitals, jazz, global music, ballet, modern and culturally specific dance, opera, theater, choral groups, and special attractions. UMS also develops and executes an extensive education program involving up to 150 events each season; commissions and presents new work; and hosts many artist residencies. The mission of UMS is to inspire individuals and enrich communities by connecting audiences and artists in uncommon and engaging experiences. For more on UMS, visit www.ums.org.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.