The Business Engagement Center (BEC)
The UM-Dearborn Business Engagement Center was founded in 2012 to establish a university-wide approach to managing relationships between businesses and the university for the purposes of: 1) supporting the needs of businesses in accessing the vast resources of the university including student and alumni talent (pipeline), faculty research, new technology, facilities and continuing education; and 2) acquiring resources from business partners to advance student learning, faculty scholarship, and research. Both of these broad purposes will contribute to the economic development of the state. In 2017, the BEC was merged into the department of Business & Foundation Engagement.
Basic Function and Responsibility of the Relationship Manager
Business & Foundation Engagement (B&FE) is seeking a skilled Relationship Manager (RM) to serve as an advocate for faculty, student and alumni talent with the regional business community, and be a resource to companies and partners looking to engage the university. The mission of the BEC is to serve as a conduit to streamline and connect industry to the campus’ unique academic assets, resources, and talent. The RM will be responsible for working within the established strategic framework to identify and engage new companies, while enriching partnerships with companies where there are existing relationships. Successful business engagement will include increases in talent opportunities, research and development, and corporate philanthropy. The RM will work within a collaborative structure at the university, partnering with relevant colleges and business units to match corporate and campus opportunities and interests.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the vision, brand, and strategic plan for B&FE to most effectively leverage the resources and opportunities within the university and businesses to meet mutual needs.
- Aid with the implementation of a strategic business engagement plan that expands existing relationships and develops new relationships with businesses, industry associations, and other entities wishing to access university resources. This includes forging recruiting, research, and philanthropic partnerships in alignment with UM-Dearborn’s strategic priorities.
- Actively participate in serving as the front door for corporations seeking university services/resources that will efficiently accommodate both reactive support as well as proactively targeting key corporations for long-term, substantive and comprehensive relationships.
- Assist with achieving the established goals for corporate giving during the UM-Dearborn Victors for Michigan campaign.
- Assist with B&FE programmatic and event management as needed.
- Manage a portfolio of corporate prospects and donors.
- Coordinate interactions among faculty and staff across the university, ensuring the relationships are collaborative, efficient and achieve the desired outcomes.
- Conduct personal visits with identified corporate representatives at their offices, as well as on campus, for the purposes of cultivation and solicitation.
- Prepare university leaders for their involvement in the cultivation and solicitation of key corporate partners.
- Prepare and advise on proposals for significant corporate grants as necessary and appropriate.
- Proactively identify and engage corporations and small businesses that do not have an existing and substantive relationship with the campus.
- Identify industry events and specific opportunities where B&FE can have a presence to introduce new companies to UM-Dearborn.
- Seek out and utilize existing corporate databases to develop target lists.
- Build collaborative partnerships with other business service and economic development organizations to develop collaborative corporate engagement opportunities.
- Represent UM-Dearborn at meetings and industry events where the audience is targeted corporations.
- Build and support existing collaborative and trusting relationships with faculty, leadership, and staff throughout the university to:
- Ensure that UM-Dearborn provides a high level of customer service to industry representatives.
- Become conversant with UM-Dearborn's current and aspirational strengths and existing corporate relationships within target industries in order to thoroughly understand the capabilities, programs and priorities of university personnel and to assist them in managing their respective corporate partnership activities.
- Proactively market the university's core assets in research, intellectual property, facilities, education services, students, and faculty based upon current knowledge of the trends, needs, and opportunities of targeted industry partners.
- Support appropriate and timely stewardship and reporting of progress and outcomes associated with business engagement.
- Facilitate and expedite matching business and corporate requests with students interested in experiential learning opportunities in support of the Talent Gateway.
- Serve as a liaison with the College of Engineering & Computer Science.
- Partner with the Ann Arbor Business Engagement Center, working closely with the Relationship Management staff to promote the expansion of corporate relationships on the Dearborn campus.
- Establish and maintain effective collaborative relationships with development officers and other members of the institutional advancement team in order to coordinate and leverage contacts and activities.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in business administration, finance, economics, international studies, urban planning, community development, marketing, public administration or a related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in economic development, business engagement, corporate relations or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to interact successfully with stakeholders within a complex organization.
- Experience with corporate fund development.
- Excellent public relations skills, strong verbal communication, analytic, and persuasion skills.
- Strong collaborative work-style and ability to work effectively both as a project lead and team player.
- A high degree of energy, creativity and initiative.
- Ability to help shape still emerging, innovative operating models and thrive with ambiguity.
- Ability to interact with mid- to high-level individuals in industry and university, maintaining a high level of professionalism, judgment and confidentiality.
- Genuine interest in and affinity for the fields of particular interest to local industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including grant writing and public speaking.
- The ability to travel and participate in evening and weekend activities.
- The ability to authentically and enthusiastically represent the mission, vision and values of the University of Michigan-Dearborn as a strong and compelling advocate.
- Reliable means of personal transport.
- Graduate degree in relevant discipline preferred.
- Work experience in industry.
- Work experience in higher education.
Reports to: Executive Director of Business & Foundation Engagement & Director of the Business Engagement Center
Supervises: This position does not have supervisory responsibility
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.