How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
Manage non-staff/non-faculty immigration needs of Department
Serve as the liaison between the University of Michigan Department of Internal Medicine and the Medical School Immigration Compliance Unit (ICU).
Obtain and submit Intake Form for each Foreign National.
Advise and coordinate the appropriate paperwork for the foreign national on behalf of the hiring unit.
Monitor and track the employment-based immigration status of foreign national/employee for the duration of their employment at the University.
When foreign national has substantial job changes or end their employment, submit Intake in order to modify their visa appropriately.
Maintain ongoing spreadsheet for foreign nationals.
Manage Research Fellow/Post Doc/GRSA and Visiting Scholars/Observers processes
Work with Principal Investigators and advise on the handling of incoming individual
Coordinate paperwork and obtain required signatures from leadership
Renewal process, visa extension and other work required for appointment
Ensure funding availability
Complete PARS to extend appointment, salary and terminations
Advanced Practice Professionals (APPs) On-boarding
Work with Department and ACU contacts to coordinate the initial hiring and credentialing of both Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and Physicians Assistants (PAs)
Advise the Department and ACU contacts on appropriate start dates and time lines for completing the credentialing process
Meet with incoming recruits to complete credentialing paperwork and then ensure proper completion of the paperwork by the Division and Department contacts
Provide Medical Staff Services Office complete credentialing packets to ensure prompt processing of new appointments
Exercise initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and a service-oriented attitude while working with many different points of contact to complete these packets
Advanced Practice Professionals (APPs) Re-credentialing and Licensing Maintenance
Ensure that APP re-credentialing packets are completed correctly and in a timely manner
Notify APPs of license and certification expirations/renewals and maintain their files with the updated licenses
Work with APPs wishing to add or change their current privileges
Process all initial documents to ensure proper enrollment of faculty and APPs
Complete Provider Enrollment change forms to ensure faculty and APPs are able to bill correctly when adding or removing practice sites
Other – Back up Support
job postings and offers
Reclassifications and equity reviews
Additional pay requests
Work study and temp appointments
Staff tuition requests
Misc. HR requests (ex. supervisor change)
Terminations and RIF processing
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Track record in accurately completing detailed, comprehensive paperwork and meeting deadlines, ensuring compliance with established guidelines.
- Attention to detail is essential as well as sound judgment and the ability to problem solve effectively within appropriate guidelines and parameters.
- Experienced in teamwork and customer service.
- Excellent problem-solver and experienced with conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work accurately, independently and in collaboration with others.
- Personable, with a demonstrated excellence in both verbal and written communication required.
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills, along with experience and competence utilizing and leveraging technology and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, residents and staff at all levels.
- A strong commitment to provide excellent customer service is required along with the ability to work effectively with diverse constituents.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and patience will be essential in working in this team environment to meet changing demands and deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft programs - Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Wolverine Access/M-Pathways Human Resource Management System.
- Reasonable business experience in an administrative capacity is necessary
- Reasonable knowledge of University or HR policies and procedures, and practices is necessary.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in HR or closely related area
- Master's degree
- Understanding and knowledge of immigration matters highly desired, specifically with J-1 and H-1B visas
- Understanding and knowledge of Advanced Practice Professionals and managing site locations for provider enrollment and billing
- Understanding of post-doctoral research positions and processes
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.