How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Facilities and Operations (F&O) has primary responsibility for the stewardship of the university's physical properties, including nearly 36 million square feet of building space. We are responsible for sophisticated and complex academic, research and clinical facilities, as well as associated environmental stewardship and regulatory compliance. We strive to optimize our resources in order to support the university's commitment to academic excellence and cost containment. The Office of Campus Sustainability (OCS) is responsible for driving institutional sustainability efforts throughout operations, research, and healthcare. This position is a part of the Energy Management (EM) team, a subset of the OCS.
The Regional Energy Manager (REM) has the responsibility for the development and ongoing management of the organization’s energy conservation program. Working in collaboration with building owners, building occupants, managers, and maintenance personnel, the REM ensures that assigned buildings are meeting the needs of occupants (faculty, staff, and students) while consuming the least amount of energy in respect to electricity, steam, natural gas, and water. The REM works with EM support staff to implement energy reduction methodologies and building system optimization.
- Fan scheduling & runtime reporting
- Building walkthroughs to identify energy waste
- Monitor monthly utility consumption for variations
- Coordination with facilities maintenance groups (with a focus on energy conservation)
- Occupant engagement
- Steam trap testing – coordination
- Main contact for building facility manager regarding energy issues
- Review capital project plans and provide comments related to system selection/design for energy efficiency
- Identify and analyze other potential operational savings
- Building Automation System (BAS) programming/trend review
- Lead building energy deep dives with engineering support
- Develop scopes of work for re-commissioning projects
- Identify potential Energy Conservation Measures (ECMs) including cost analysis with payback period and GHG reduction impact
- Identify and develop small ECMs
- Assist with ECM commissioning, measurement & verification, and closeout
- Participate in budget planning process (as requested)
- Other assignments as identified that result in decreased utility consumption
- Create new and implement existing energy programs as opportunities arise
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of building heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical, and water systems
- Practical experience with digital building control technology and BAS
- 5 years experience in a facilities management environment
- Demonstrated experience in leading programs and projects
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing at all levels of an organization
- Demonstrated proficiency with current computer technology and applications (i.e. Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite, work management interface, etc.)
- Ability to travel frequently between sites across the UM Ann Arbor campus
- CEM Certification or equivalent certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or Architecture
- Experience working in research laboratory facilities and associated building systems
- Experience in a higher education, public service, or a non-profit organization
- Prior knowledge of and experience with commercial or university buildings
- Prior experience interacting with a diverse population at all levels, including bargained for and non-bargained for staff
- Demonstrated passion for energy conservation and waste reduction activities or environmental action
- Demonstrated success leading cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated proficiency with AiM software (work management interface)
Work schedule is primarily regular business hours; however, candidate must be able to adjust schedule for occasional activities.
This position will report to the Manager of the Energy Management Team.
Please submit cover letter and resume to the umjobs.org/ website, and email both to REMposting@umich.edu
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.