How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary will vary depending on the qualifications and the experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for a Telecommunications Software Programmer. The selected candidate will be responsible for the network and voice communications systems and tools and will collaborate with ITS Infrastructure technical teams on production support, tool development and project efforts.
The selected candidate will join the ITS Unified Communications team and will develop, configure, test, deploy and maintain performance monitoring and measuring network tools for the Linux environment and will provide configuration automation for real-time systems.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
While not limited to those identified below, the major areas of reponsibility include:
- Planning, operational management and service delivery for Linux based systems. Develop and implementing system designs including server sizing, specifications and configuration. Configures, deploys, tests and maintains various network tools to include: Spectrum, Network Authentication (AAA), Intermapper, CA Spectrum and CA Network Flow Analysis.
- Assisting in the implementation, operation, maintenance, upgrades, backup/recovery, security, virus protection, spam protection, performance monitoring, supporting and problem solving in a large, 24/7/365 computing environment.
- Assisting users with development and optimization of complex searches, alerts, data extractions, dashboards and reports from tools within the monitoring infrastructure.
- Collaborating with team for development, integration and implementation of IP enabled real time unified communication systems including, but not limited to, leveraging open source software. Participating in the development of diagnostic and test software for communications systems.
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Building Relationship / Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to use formal and informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives, develops and maintains smooth, cooperative working relationships. Demonstrates the ability to address and manage conflict and offers constructive criticism and feedback in a positive manner.
Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking: Demonstrates the ability to provide the necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems. Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo. Demonstrates the ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve complex problems.
Communication: Demonstrates the ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying the style to fit the audience.
Flexibility / Adaptability to Change: Understands and accepts the need for change, cooperates in implementation and constructively voices concerns and proposes alternatives.
Quality Service: Demonstrates stewardship in understanding and helping others to understand the impact of recommendations to both short-term and long-term needs of the organization. Develops strategic partnerships with customers based on an in-depth understanding of the customers objectives/business.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field or an equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Basic understanding of networking concepts and protocols like TCP/IP, DNS/DHCP, HTTPS and related technologies.
- Basic Linux system administration.
- Ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation and performance monitoring.
- One (1) year of experience with programming languages, scripting languages such as Shell Script, Python, PERL and PHP.
- General understanding of automation platforms (docker) and automation tools like ansible, puppet, SALT, etc.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting issues and problem-solving skills with a focus on process improvement and/or automation.
- Ability to communicate effectively in technical concepts both via email, letters and in person to teams and customers.
- Ability to manage small projects.
- General understanding of various operating systems, applications and tools such as Linux, MacOS and Mysql.
- Knowledge of network monitoring systems, SNMP and containerization.
- Programming knowledge with software development tools: Python, SOAP, JSON, etc.
- Basic understanding of Linux operations environment with some experience in troubleshooting, installation and configuration of systems.
- May require working during non-business hours and on weekends, may require on-call availability and may involve traveling to various locations on and off campus to troubleshoot and replace hardware.
- After hire, our selected candidate must have a personal mobile communication device and home internet connection.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.