How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Division of Pain Research within the Department of Anesthesiology is hiring a Data Analyst. The Data Analyst primarily gathers and analyzes data from various databases and sources; cleans and constructs datasets; develops and/or maintains databases; performs statistical programming; and provides technical assistance to the team. The Data Analyst may also assist researchers in determining the appropriate analytical methodology to meet their needs, uses various statistical packages, and summarizes and interprets statistical results.
- Extract and transform raw data from various data sources into usable forms, and construct datasets according to specification provided
- Design, create and implement programs and templates to collect, display and analyze data for assigned projects and/or clients
- Design and run quality assurance checks on collected data and troubleshoot problems reported
- Clean, recode, reformat and output data as necessary for delivery to key stakeholders
- Document quality assurance operations performed in final reports and provide basic documentation on datasets and harmonize data with previously collected data or aggregate disparate data sources for analysis and reporting.
- Perform statistical programming utilizing a variety of statistical software packages to summarize data and create reports and/or visual presentations
- Design and prepare standard and ad hoc reports and summaries for statistical analysis and planning purposes
- Document procedures for future reference and may make recommendations for data analysis process improvements
- Assist researchers in the development of surveys and other study materials to ensure adequate data collection
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 4-5 years of experience in a related field
- Minimum of one year of progressively responsible experience conducting data management and analysis or an equivalent combination of qualifying education and experience
- Knowledge and experience with statistical packages (R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, etc.), and Excel, and some programming experience
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Detail-oriented approach to tasks
- Master’s Degree is preferred and 1-3 years of experience in a related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and to use logical problem-solving approach that involves concrete and abstract variables
- Strong organizational skills
NCRC Building 16
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.