How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The College of Engineering has an opening for a senior business process consultant to work on a cross-departmental team focused on reducing administrative burden and supporting the College’s strategic initiatives. You would be the business process consultant and sometimes serve as a project manager, with a focus on process re-engineering and implementation. Daily activities would include facilitating discussions to improve business processes, providing project management support for the Dean’s office and the Administrative Burden Task Force, and assisting with change management, communications, and implementation planning. This highly collaborative position will allow you the opportunity to interact with people and teams from across the entire University. As this is a joint effort between Resource Planning Management (RPM) and CAEN, you will have opportunities to work under the direction of either group, depending on the project.
The College seeks someone who excels at collaborating with staff, faculty, and college leadership. You should have a strong interest in process improvement, and an interest in planning how new processes and solutions can be deployed and supported in an academic institution. We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds that share our passion for developing innovative solutions to free up time for other projects. We expect you to bring new skills, experiences, and perspectives to our existing team, challenging our current team members to think about things in different ways and to see other points of view.
For more information about RPM, please visit: rpm.engin.umich.edu
For more information about CAEN, please visit: caen.engin.umich.edu
For more information about the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan, please visit: www.engin.umich.edu
- Process Re-engineering - Facilitate discussions in order to create process maps based on input from subject matter experts. Improve existing workflows by developing a thorough understanding of the current state. Assist with the identification of process improvements and suggest solutions. Document business processes, data, and reporting requirements. Apply analysis and knowledge by preparing system and business process specifications, required documents, and diagrams. Do this with an eye to increasing efficiency.
- Project Management - Oversee projects of a complex nature. Responsible for assembling project teams, assigning individual responsibilities, identifying appropriate partners and resources needed, documenting risks and issues, and developing the schedule to ensure timely completion of project. Provide timely and relevant communication to management allowing informed decision making regarding potential project risks, resource conflicts, and scope changes. Collaborate with project sponsors regarding status of specific projects. Work with others to create project deliverables, as well as adjust priorities and timelines based on resource conflicts, resource availability, and other constraints.
- Project Implementation - Assist in implementation planning, working directly with CoE units affected by change. Develop training, communication, and implementation plans. Coordinate and track implementation efforts.
- Develop documentation for various projects, including project plans and reports to stakeholders. Be familiar with scope and project objectives. Set customer expectations. Produce and publish project communications, including writing and reviewing project deliverables.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum five years demonstrated experience in a similar role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience leading groups and engaging people in developing and working towards shared goals
- Ability to learn and understand complex concepts/ideas, determine what is relevant to various audiences and communicate that information in a clear and concise way using channels
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all members of the College community
- Flexible, adaptable, and willing to take on a variety of projects as needed to support the overall organization
- Project management experience, including the ability to lead meetings, take minutes, track key decision points, prioritize deliverables, resolve conflict, maintain issues lists, and manage a project plan
- Demonstrated experience with project management principles
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, and report on data using tools such as Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel. Ability to use Microsoft Visio or other process mapping software
- A problem-solver who understands the importance of establishing relationships with partners and customers
- Experience collecting, organizing and understanding information and then transforming that detail into a compelling "big picture" for different audiences
- Experience working in higher education
- Strong desire to create efficiencies
- Strong communication and presentation skills, especially the ability to adapt to different interaction styles. Excellent customer service skills
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.