How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 157781 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 157782
A total of one (1), 1.0 FTE Advanced Practice Professionals (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
The Neonatal Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant will provide direct patient care to newborns/infants in Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital (VVWH) 9 East and 9 West Birthing Center as well as neonatal patients in the Brandon NICU on 8 W and the expansion unit (10 West). The goals include providing the highest quality patient and family centered care, facilitating communication among multidisciplinary care providers, increasing educational opportunities for house staff and medical students, and innovating care of the newborn in the Children's and Women' Hospital
- Under physician supervision, coordinates care of acutely ill and convalescing neonates in the intensive care and acute care unit settings.
- The NP/PA will perform advanced diagnostic and therapeutic tasks associated with neonates admitted to the NICU.
- Direct, coordinate and participate in neonatal transports (ground and air) to and from UMHS; as assigned
- Initiate medical treatment, in collaboration with supervising physician, to stabilize the neonate prior to and during transport and lead a team to retrieve neonates from other institutions; as assigned.
- The NP/PA will complete detailed histories and physicals and present pertinent data to the medical staff.
- Collect and interpret reports from diagnostic lab tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies.
- Order tests and prescribe medications.
- Perform various diagnostic, therapeutic, and minor procedures.
- Contribute to the education of new resident physicians to the service and assist in maintaining continuity of care.
- Confer with attending physicians and communicate with other care providers/consultants to coordinate clinical care.
- Maintain accurate documentation regarding patient status, evaluations, and treatment.
- Streamline the patient transfer process between levels of care, including writing discharge orders and communicating specific patient needs to team members.
- Attend high risk deliveries, lead neonatal resuscitation activities. Participate in quality assurance activities.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the attending physician, and/or NICU medical director.
- Utilize new improvements and/or technologies that relate to job assignment.
- Palliative care
- Prenatal consult services for mothers who are taking high risk medications.
- Consult services to other newborn care providers in the birthing center, including Family Practice Physicians, Private Pediatricians, and Well Newborn Rounding Physicians.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Nursing job family under number 157781 for NPs to apply.
Note: This is a day/night position. This position includes weekend and holidays shifts as required by the service.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Clinical experience in a Neonatal ICU.
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- A minimum 1 year experience in a NICU setting or completion of a neonatology residency program
- A minimum 1 year experience caring for acutely ill patients with diseases common in a NICU setting.
- Demonstrated ability to positively contribute to a team.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Ability to function independently while assuring the medical care team is functioning smoothly and in collaboration with each other.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate clinical care ideas across multiple patient care services and to communicate as a patient advocate.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment. Demonstrated high level of motivation to learn and to participate in activities to improve patient care. Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitating the educational growth of others through previous clinical instructional roles.
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of current medical, surgical, and pharmaceutical treatment modalities of the acute and chronically ill neonates.
Hours: per week 40
Shift: Day/Night rotation, this position includes weekend and holidays shifts as required by the service Location: C.S. Mott Children's Hospital- 8 W, 10 W Brandon Newborn Intensive Care Unit and Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital (VVWH) 9E, 9W Birthing Center
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.