How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Shared Services Center (SSC) is a customer service organization where the employees are passionate about providing a high quality customer service experience to the university community. The SSC offers key financial and human resource transaction services to customers through consistent processes and enabling technology.
The SSC seeks an experienced Training Specialist to join a creative team responsible for developing, administering, and delivering learning and communication strategies and products that support our diverse customers’ needs, while also enhancing the knowledge and skills of internal SSC staff. Working in collaboration with the Learning and Communications Team, SSC leadership and colleagues, this individual will help us create a culture of learning within the SSC, as well as programs and resources that ensure a positive and informative experience for our customers.
- With the Learning and Communications Team, assume a primary role in the design, administration, and assessment of learning programs to enhance SSC staff skills, knowledge, and growth opportunities
- Consult with and guide SSC Supervisors as they develop and deliver onboarding and refresher training for their staff
- Create customer-facing training materials in multiple formats (e.g., eLearning, instructor-led), using eLearning tools (e.g., Google Classroom, Screencastify) and other media
- Deliver presentations and classroom training to SSC staff and customers, if requested
- Manage learning management systems for SSC courses and resources (currently MyLinc, Canvas and Google Classroom); schedule courses and instructors; track and report on course completions
- Write communications and a variety of other materials, including email, news, presentations, job aids, website content, and more, related to the SSC’s business services and initiatives
- Complete routine production support requests (posters, flyers, graphics, logos, presentation materials) related to branding, communications, customer relations, marketing, among others
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the field of education, instructional design, or leadership development, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in learning new business processes and software and communicating about it to others using clear, concise, and user-friendly language in a variety of formats.
- Demonstrated exemplary writing and editing skills, with high attention to detail and solid proofreading skills.
- Working knowledge of design software and photo/video editing software, such as; Adobe Suite – (Photoshop, InDesign, Spark, Final Cut, etc.)
- Comfort with ambiguity and taking initiative in clarifying expectations in assignment or project goals, outcomes or deliverables. Able to work successfully with high-level direction, but minimal day-to-day guidance.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to successfully complete multiple tasks within established deadlines.
- Ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a highly-functioning and productive team.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and collaborate successfully with others from all areas of the University, as well as diverse backgrounds.
- Administrative experience with a learning management system
- Working knowledge of popular communications/website tools; Wordpress, MailChimp, etc.
- Experience with Lean thinking, principles, and practice
- Familiarity or experience with user experience (UX) design
Organizational Core Competencies and Skills:
- Advancing the Mission - Demonstrates ability to operate effectively in a manner consistent with the University of Michigan mission and culture. Exhibits understanding of the unique issues related to higher education.
- Building Relationships/Interpersonal Skills - Values organizational diversity, treats others with respect, and promotes cooperation. Effectively manages relationships and collaborates with others at all levels throughout the University.
- Creative Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking - Develops and creates ideas, processes, and approaches focused on the future.
- Communication - Demonstrates excellent communication skills to those at all levels throughout the University. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
- Development of Self and Others - Seeks opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others by setting developmental goals and seeking performance feedback. Applies new skills and knowledge gained in an effort to add value to the organization.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change - Responds positively to and champions change to others.
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation - Holds self and staff accountable for meeting established objectives and successfully accomplishing desired outcomes.
- Quality Service - Strives to meet the expectations of internal and external customers, firmly establishing a service first culture. Displays solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment. Delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure.
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of over $7 billion, is a leader in higher education. U-M SSC provides administrative support related to financial and human resources in the following areas: Accounts Payable, Travel and Expense, General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Benefits, HR Data Management, Time and Leave, and Employment Process. To learn more about U-M SSC, please visit our website: SSC.umich.edu
We offer our employees an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, a two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
The Shared Services Center seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.