Internal Medicine’s Pulmonary and Nephrology Clinics are seeking a Medical Assistant-Nurse Assist to assist in the delivery of outpatient specialty care on the 3rd floor of the Taubman Center. The MAs duties will involve direct patient care as well as administrative responsibilities. We are looking for a team member who can work independently and adhere to our high standards for excellence in patient care.
- Support clinical providers by administering immunizations and injections, follow up test scheduling, etc.
- Assist patients while in clinic
- Assure efficient clinic flow by rooming patients performing intake functions including vital signs, medication reconciliation, and reason for visit
- Prepares patient records and reports
- Prepares and sets up exam room with appropriate equipment and supplies
- Collects specimens
- Implements emergency protocols when necessary
- Maintains accurate electronic patient information in Mi Chart
- Reports incidents, problems and concerns in a timely manner to the leadership team
- Assist in arranging same day tests
- Stock supplies, linen and medications
- Perform EKGs or other point of service testing as required
Indirect patient care:
- Scan patient records into Mi Chart
- Performing prior authorizations for medications and procedures
- Works with the Avitracks lab monitoring system
- Faxing and/or mailing patient lab orders; Monitoring of the fax server
- Complete required forms (FMLA, Workers Comp, Patient Assistance)
- Sort mail; Maintain provider incoming mail and obtain provider signatures when necessary
- Entering prescription refills into MiChart and calling in prescriptions to the pharmacy
- Entering standing lab orders and clinic lab orders into MiChart
- Scheduling testing as necessary
- Calling for labs and outside medical records
- Processing incoming messages through the MiChart inbasket
- Participate in the opening and closing of the clinic as required by the schedule
- Participate in clinical operations improvement activities
- Providing coverage to co-workers when absent
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Collaborates with nursing in patient care activities
- Demonstrates positive customer service behavior
- Maintains excellent communication with all health center staff
Graduation from a Medical Assistant Program. Able to work in a fast-paced, customer friendly environment. Possess a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential. Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others. Works well with minimal supervision and possesses strong attention to detail. Documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality. Effective time management skills. Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal and communication skills (ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues). May be required to work overtime.
Previous experience in an Ambulatory Care clinical setting as a Medical Assistant. MiChart experience. Clinical data entry experience. Lab monitoring programs knowledge. Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures.
Appointment: 40 hours per week, full-time
Shift/Hours/Days: 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM / Monday – Friday (hours may vary)
Location: Internal Medicine, Area C, Taubman Center
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.