How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relates to this position.
The Sleep Disorders Center is seeking a team player that has strong interpersonal skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks. To provide customer service to patients in an ambulatory setting by facilitating business processes including appointment scheduling, check-in, check-out, pre-arrival services, and call center.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication as well as customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of MiChart and Cadence.
- Schedule new and return patient visits determining appropriate clinic provider based on specified standards.
- Schedule sleep studies determining appropriate location and resources based on specified standards.
- Schedule clinic visits and sleep studies for patients.
- Determine the existence of previous UMHS registration.
- Obtain and update insurance, financial, and demographic information with the patient.
- Notify patients of appointment changes. Inform patients of necessary preparations prior to visit or study in accordance with established guidelines.
- Maintain and tabulate clinic data as needed.
- Collect cash and credit card payments from patients using established guidelines to determine patient pay portion and provide receipt of payment.
- Reconcile clinic cash collections daily according to specified clinic standards.
- Ensure that accurate billing information is obtained and required referrals/authorizations are met.
- Must be able to problem solve independently and as part of the team.
- Confirm patient’s appointments.
- Adhere to established telephone management principles.
- Answer call center phones on a rotating basis.
- Accurately record any phone messages and assure they are forwarded appropriately.
- Assist in the training of new employees.
- High School diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Some clerical experience is necessary, preferably in a medical setting.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Respectful and compassionate attitude promoting service excellence.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Maintain confidentiality in all business matters.
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance.
- Required to adhere to University and Departmental policies and procedures.
Patient Services Assistant
- 0-2 years of experience
Patient Services Associate
- 2-3 years of experience
- 2-4 years’ customer service experience
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine’s policies and procedures.
- Ability to fully utilize MiChart (Epic system) to access Ambulatory Care functionality in scheduling, processing collections, and generating reports.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
Monday through Friday 8:00-5:00 p.m.
Med Inn Clinic
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.