To provide clinical assistance and support to nursing and medical staff. To provide clerical assistance and support to maintain smooth clinic/office functioning.
- Directly responsible to ACNRP MA Supervisor.
- Assigned to a clinical area by the ACNRP MA Supervisor who has overall scheduling responsibility for the employee.
- Functional supervision for daily clinic responsibilities, patient care, guidance and instruction is the responsibility of the clinic Nurse Manager or designate.
**This position involves travel to various locations within Ann Arbor and the surrounding communities including Howell, Brighton, Ypsilanti, Canton, Livonia, Saline, and Chelsea.
- Provide Clinical assistance by taking vital signs determining symptoms and reason for visit, collect and prepare specimens and assist patients.
- Perform standard medical laboratory test such as urinalysis
- Ensure efficient patient flow and provide patient call back services per clinic routine.
- Prepare patient record for care provider, including obtaining reports of diagnostic testing per clinic routine.
- Prepare patient rooms for procedures by setting up all instruments/supplies; clean examination rooms between patients.
- Contribute to patient care by assisting providers and other staff as needed with direct patient care activities per clinic routine.
- Administer treatments as ordered and assist with diagnostic procedures
- May administer injections such as immunizations after successful completion of certification program and testing.
- Provide patient instruction as needed per clinic guidelines.
- Demonstrate safe body mechanics in assisting patients.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient information in written, electronic or unwritten form according to clinic and University policies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of fire/safety and infections control policies and procedures.
Office/Clinic operations: per clinic/office routines
- Operate and monitor patient care equipment, set up instrument/supplies in examination rooms
- Maintain stock levels and order supplies as needed
- Maintain a safe, clean, and neat work environment in accordance with regulatory agency compliance
- Maintain patient files and records.
- Utilize positive guest relations practices and Patient and Families First attitude in all communications.
- Utilize positive guest relations and demonstrate collegiality and respect in all interactions with peers, coworkers and managers.
- Initiate patient correspondence to convey test results and monitor past patient visits per clinic/office routine
- Complete insurance forms and initiate other patient correspondence per clinic/office routine.
- Report incidents, problems, and concerns in a timely fashion using the appropriate communication channels.
- Assist in orienting new staff as assigned.
- Provide instruction to others, including procedures and equipment training.
- Actively seek learning opportunities to expand and enhance knowledge and skill level
- High school graduate
- Current BLS certified through American Heart Association (AHA). Click here for certification process.
- Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program which provides an organized clinical externship or directly comparable training such as in the military.
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Exemplary work history and references
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Ability to Communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Some college experience and float experience.
- Completion of state certification examination for Medical Assistants.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- This position is a 40 hour/week, variable hours from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm, Monday-Friday.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.