How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Financial Systems Manager is responsible for planning, leading, organizing, motivating and mentoring the Financial Systems development team to achieve a high level of performance and quality to deliver agile projects that provide exceptional business value to our users. Responsibilities include managing concurrent high visibility projects while using agile methods in a fast-paced environment across multiple business divisions. In performing that role, the Financial Systems Manager will be expected to use a high level of financial acumen, technical knowledge, and experience along with an Agile development approach in the right proportions to fit large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level projects in order to provide the right balance of agility and predictability.
Management of Strategic Initiatives and Development - 40%
- Provide management/oversight for Technical and Business Analyst teams supporting all strategic initiatives and development for the following “Michigan Medicine Financial Systems” applications:
- Hyperion Planning (Application for Health System Cohort and Financial Budgeting )
- Hyperion Essbase (Multiple Applications for Consolidated Actual Financial and Budget reporting)
- EPSi Cost Accounting (Application for Hospital cost accounting and decision support)
- Finance BI (Business Intelligence Application used for decision support across Michigan Medicine Finance)
This includes an in-depth understanding of administration and management of each of the applications.
- Management and oversight of strategic initiatives and development for above listed systems. This includes the oversight of documentation, training, compliance and handover to production team for implementation.
- Utilize Agile methodologies to define project scope and schedule while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value.
- Create and administer business and project plans related to development initiatives.
- Organize and lead project status and working meetings.
- Manage key stakeholder communications.
- Manage risks, issues and limitations.
- Support the Application Owner and Data Stewards in managing customer expectations for project deliverables.
- Ensure infrastructure and application landscape are aligned with business strategy.
- Work proactively to assess risks or changes affecting the systems and determine appropriate action plans to manage changes.
Process and Quality Improvement 30%
- Management and oversight of all controls and data validation processes during development and during production implementation. This includes the oversight of documentation and training.
- Implementation and enforcement of Information System standards and methodologies.
- Work with various IT infrastructure teams (HITS and ITS) to ensure appropriate server and database support for 3 tiered systems.
- Negotiate and monitor service level agreements between infrastructure teams and Finance.
- Infrastructure support including knowledge of servers, software and applications residing on servers, managing services and general system administration. This includes being able to liaise with internal and external technical support teams when needed.
- Partner with other IT application teams for any necessary data exchanges. This includes working with them to proactively assess potential risks / changes affecting our systems. Develop action plan to handle these changes appropriately.
- End user help-desk, training and communication management and oversight.
- Act as vendor liaison for applications as necessary. Work with vendors, legal and procurement on contract negotiation and administration, as necessary.
- Remain current on changing industry system standards and new product offerings.
Leadership & Team Building 30%
- Responsible for budgeting and cost management of the department including but not limited to resource planning, contract and expense management.
- Promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engaged in the project and making a meaningful contribution, and encourage a sustainable pace with high-levels of quality for the team.
- Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, removing roadblocks to their work; leveraging organizational resources to improve capacity for project work; and mentoring and developing team members.
- Planning, leading, organization, motivation, mentoring and succession planning for Agile team.
- Resource planning and administration of development initiatives using Agile methodologies and tools.
- BA or BS in Finance, Accounting, Computer Science or Information Systems is required; MA or MS is a plus
- 5-10 years of experience with increasing responsibility
- 3 – 5 years of experience in accounting, finance, accounting information systems or information management
- Prior experience with financial systems application
sadministration. Preferably Oracle/Hyperion.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical accounting principles (GAAP and GASB).
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong technical, analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Proven ability to lead the oversight of production systems
- Experience with full application life cycle management
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view
- Sufficient level of technical background to provide highly-credible leadership to production team and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues.
- Experience administering at least one of the following systems: Hyperion Essbase, Hyperion Cloud Hosted Applications, Hyperion Smart View, Oracle OBIEE, Oracle Peoplesoft and Allscripts EPSi
- Experience creating reports and queries using tools such as Crystal Reports, Oracle OBIEE, Hyperion Reporting or Hyperion Interactive Reporting
- Proficient in SQL coding and debugging
- Experience with EPIC Revenue Cycle data structures
- Experience with Clinical Healthcare data
- Strong experience with data and database principles
- Experience with Oracle security or experience managing complex security models
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office products; demonstrated use of the advanced features of the Office suite
- Experience with end-to-end infrastructure implementations
- Experience in successfully implementing finance application development projects using Agile methodologies in a finance or development environment with multi-function teams.
- Prior experience with SCRUM/Agile methodologies with enterprise-level application development projects.
- Experience overseeing multi-function teams.
- Ability to provide leadership to programmers and business analysts and collaborate with customers to develop strategies and solutions of high business value
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to improve the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally, and internationally. With annual revenues of approximately $3 billion, Michigan Medicine ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country, and is committed to providing exceptional patient care, facilitating groundbreaking research and developing the next generation of physicians and scientists. Michigan Medicine consists of the Hospitals, Health Centers and Clinics, the University of Michigan Medical School and its Medical Group, and the Michigan Health Corporation.
Health System Finance serves as the central finance group for Michigan Medicine and is comprised of six functional areas: Clinical Financial Planning & Analysis, Enterprise Financial Reporting & Forecasting, Academic Financial Planning & Analysis, Medical School Administration Finance, Reimbursement, and Financial Systems.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.