The Northville Health Center is an Ambulatory Care facility comprised of clinical and diagnostic services, dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The 2-story facility is located at the corner of 7 Mile and Haggerty in Northville Township. We are seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
This role is supporting specialty referral needs, including PTOT, Comprehensive Musckeskeletal Center and other specialy services. Provide exceptional patient centered excellence to patients and families. Coordinates and facilitates between Physician and Insurance Companies, regarding authorization and referrals for multiple services, including primary and specialty care. Act as a primary resource for providers, staff, patients and external insurances. Responsible for processing referrals using established insurance company guidelines. Obtain authorizations, precertification, prescriptions for therapies, and benefit verifications. Manage orders and referral work queues, and respond to patient referral issues in a timely manner. Facilitate appointment scheduling for primary and specialty services. Provide relevant insurance information and updates to staff, providers and managers (e.g. managed care changes, terminated contracts). Work closely with providers, clerical and clinical staff on referral processes to understand and proactively identify and resolve referral issues. Interact effectively between units and individuals. Assist in developing new referral processes and procedures within the clinic.
- High School diploma or GED.
- 3 – 4 years of experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling, patient insurance, hospital billing, collection and managed care concepts and referrals.
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records or professional medical billing.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills, proficient computer and keyboarding skills, and excellent attendance.
- Demonstrate active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
- Experience working within a large, complex heath care setting.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical records systems.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Evening hours and rotating Saturdays may be required.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.