How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization has an exciting opportunity to employ an Applications Systems Administrator Intermediate to administer and monitor information operations to the Identity Access Management (IAM) and Middleware-related systems. This position will report to the IAM and System Operations Manager in the Infrastructure Architecture department. This position requires a qualified individual who possesses a drive to focus and produce results, the ability to work independently to provide excellent customer service and effectively manage customer relationships in an ever-changing environment.
The Application Systems Administrator Intermediate is responsible for the management of the full life cycle of identities; authentication, authorization and IT service provisioning solutions including the implementation, deployment and support of application and driver infrastructure.
- Perform Installation and maintenance of Identity Access Management and related systems. Able to maintain and build from source code common open source software such as Apache Web Server, Tomcat and related tools and technologies. Implement Novell Identity Manager and eDirectory services as defined by architectural design documents and the implementation phase design process.
- Review and monitor systems for availability, error conditions, adequate space allocation, backup integrity and performance to ensure system stability. Ensure system backups and data archiving operations and tune performance of production systems.
- Provide tier two support to ITS departments to identify and resolve problems data integrity issues and the maintenance of the full life cycle of identities.
- Collaborate with team members and IT groups to effectively maintain the IAM infrastructure in a 99.99% uptime production environment.
- Contribute to research, evaluation, process improvements, upgrades to IAM enhancements by identifying when established procedures are not working and when there are gaps in the processes and make recommendations for improvements. Develop and edits customer and technical support knowledge base documentation.
- Stay current with relevant advances in technologies in authentication systems such as MIT Kerberos, Active Directory NTLM/Kerberos, PKI, Secure Token and Web SSO including federated SSO, to meet the ever-changing needs of the University. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services. Develops and follows best practices, procedures and shares knowledge with team members.
- Timely and prompt communication to all parties involved the progress/status of assigned tasks.
- Coordinate and implement IAM infrastructure upgrades and enhancements on budget and on schedule.
While not limited to only those listed below, in this role, our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Creative Problem Solving: Demonstrates the ability to provide the necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level and some complex problems. Handles several problems at one time.
- Flexibility / Adaptability to Change: Demonstrates the ability to plan, implement and communicate effective change approaches within established and changing deadlines.
- Quality Service: Demonstrates the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner which consistently meets the organizations expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, deadlines, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently supporting an enterprise Identity Access Management infrastructure.
- Experience with UNIX administration, shell script, Java/Python/C programming, LDAP, Kerberos and XML.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of networking technologies.
- Experience with troubleshooting system performance and tuning experience.
- Familiarity with cloud based technologies DevOps tools.
- Demonstrated work experience with significant responsibility for supporting middleware components, such as OpenLDAP or eDirectory components.
- Experience building and supporting information technology services at a higher education institution.
- Working knowledge of directory, Identity and Access Management and/or authentication solutions.
- Knowledge of Novell directory and IdM technologies and integration with PeopleSoft Higher Education ERP, LDAP schema design, XML, XDS and XSLT preferred.
- Java/Python/C programming, LDAP, Kerberos, Splunk and XML.
- Significant experience with large databases and work experience with relational database technology in a client/server or Web environment and design and developing software using structured techniques in a cloud based infrastructure.
- Demonstrated work experience with significant responsibility for supporting middleware components, such as OpenLDAP, Active Directory or eDirectory components.
- Proficiency with one or more procedural or object-oriented programming languages and with reporting tools.
- Demonstrated work experience with test-driven Java/Python/C development, knowledge of Internet2 middleware initiatives.
- Experience with SAML and implementations such as OpenID and/or similar technologies.
- Knowledge of test-driven systems development and DevOps methodologies, process improvement (modeling, analysis, refactoring) and data analysis.
- This position requires staff to participate in an on-call rotation and be available outside of normal working hours.
- Post hire, the selected candidate will be required to have high-speed residential Internet connectivity service.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.