How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The successful applicant for this position will be able to:
- Seat and prepare patients for treatment, to best utilize the concepts of four-handed dentistry in a fast paced, complex environment
- Assist multiple providers simultaneously while performing restorative and digital dental treatment procedures
- Work as a team player, either helping or receiving help from other assistants with the objective to expedite patient care
- Expose and set digital radiographs according to standard procedures or specific instructions
- Set-up instruments and materials, in anticipation of dentist's needs for each procedure
- Mix and manipulate dental materials, such as cements, resins and alloys in preparation for restorative procedures
- Assist with patient management during treatment, minimizing patient discomfort and anxiety
- Render immediate assistance in emergency medical situations
- Take blood pressure using appropriate devices
- Set up and tear-down cubicles and re-set for next patient, prepare instruments for sterilization; stock cubicles with supplies
- Keep clinic neat, organized and the equipment properly maintained
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on hand-pieces, instruments, dental units, chairs and lights and report major equipment repair and maintenance needs
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Associates degree in Dental Assisting from an accredited institution or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills. Proof of completion of Michigan Board of Dentistry approved radiography program. Current CPR certification. BLS required. Experience working with a patient management system (e.g. AxiUm). Experience chairside assisting with multiple providers in busy clinic. Must be a team player with the ability to multitask. Excellent attendance record. Excellent organizational skills. Excellent attention to detail.
Experience in digital impression and CEREC procedures. CDA or RDA preferred. Knowledge of UM policies and procedures, particularly at the School of Dentistry. Experience with MiDent computer software.
This position is for the School of Dentistry located at 1011 N University.
This job posting is for a University of Michigan temporary position. The duration of this position may be for at least 12 weeks or more. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
MDentistry: Advancing health through education, service, research and discovery.
Core Values: Compassion, Leadership, Excellence, Responsibility, Trust, Creativity, and Inclusion.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by: -Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences. -Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.