How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Animal Care and Use Office (ACU Office) fosters and supports the oversight of the responsible and humane care and use of animals used in research and instruction at the University of Michigan (U-M) through its support of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). The IACUC oversees, evaluates, and reviews the animal care and use program, procedures, and facilities to ensure compliance with applicable standards, policies and regulations. The ACU Office reports to the Vice President for Research in the U-M Office of Research.
The ACU Office is currently seeking a Quality Assurance Specialist. Within this capacity, duties include:
- Coordinate and conduct post approval monitoring and quality assurance reviews of approved animal research activities. Activity includes reviewing clinical records, post-surgical records, and other documents for all laboratories using animals at the University of Michigan.
- Assist in conducting IACUC-sponsored activities such as facility inspections to comply with regulations, policies, and nationally accepted standards, and to ensure that conditions are conducive to humane, responsible, and scientifically sound animal care and use.
- Assist in developing and implementing institutional animal care and use policies, programs, and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of current information and issues regarding laboratory animal science, and engage in professional development activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Five to ten years’ experience with animals used in laboratories or regulatory compliance oversight.
- Ability to work productively with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills, including priority setting, time management, planning and follow-up, and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including teamwork, customer service oriented, motivational, negotiating skills, professional demeanor, and ability to overcome adversarial interactions in a firm but diplomatic manner.
- Strong communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation skills, and the ability to overcome language barriers.
- Strong commitment to the welfare of animals used in research.
- Working knowledge in regulations, policies, and nationally accepted standards regarding the care and use of animals in research, testing, and instruction.
- Bachelor degree in animal science, education, or related disciplines or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Extensive knowledge of IACUC review and approval of animal use activities.
- Certification for Professional IACUC Administrator (CPIA) strongly desired or attainment of certification within one year of eligibility.
- Previous experience, three to five years, as a post approval monitor preferred.
- Knowledge in issues pertaining to the use and care of animals in research, testing, and instruction.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.