How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position is responsible for supporting 1,500+ student organizations and assists with managing approximately 2,000 student organization accounts for the Student Organization Account Services (SOAS) office within Student Life. This position will help supervise one to seven student employees depending on semester and staffing levels, and will report to the SOAS Lead.
This role directly engages with both student organization leadership and UM departments to provide payment guidance, educate students on federal, state, and University policies, and guide them on accounting best practices. Responsibilities range from performing daily tasks to solving unique problems as they occur.
Additionally, this position will manage calls, emails, and walk-ins when student employees are absent. When the SOAS Lead is absent, this position will manage the office and lead operations as a whole.
General questions & daily tasks- 45%
- Assist student leaders with all forms of payment processing and investigate transactions on behalf of organizations as they occur
- Daily tasks include checking voicemail, picking up mail, answering emails and phone calls, creating and filing check coversheets, and notifying students when they have a check ready for pick-up
- Update annual trainings and procedures
- Conduct group and individual trainings
- Problem solving with other Student Life and University departments
- Lead operations when SOAS Lead is absent
- Supervise student employees
- Assist staff and advisors with questions
Manage Authorized Signer System- 20%
- Update the Signer Management system queue daily
- Confirm nominated Authorized Signers as needed
- Notify groups of their current status in the process
- Void and reissue checks as needed
- Request Project Grant numbers
- Mail checks older than 2 weeks or as needed per request of the recipient
- Pull summary of activity reports from Business Objects
- Freeze and notify groups who are in deficit
- Track groups who remain in deficit
- Other tasks/projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years work experience in business, finance, or higher education administration
- Experience in customer service
- Working knowledge of the University's policy and procedures
- Working knowledge of University systems (M-Pathways, Business Objects, M-Reports)
- Experience working with the University’s Shared Service Center
- Familiarity with Maize Pages (CollegiateLink)
- Experience working with diverse student populations
PLEASE NOTE: Relocation will not be offered for this position.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
- Ability to multi-task and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be able to concisely explain complex systems to those of varying knowledge
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills especially related interpreting policy/procedure to student groups
- Demonstrated excellent presentation skills utilizing current technology
May require a few night trainings in the fall when the students return to campus
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.