Responsibilities: Applies broad knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of Academic Department Administration to the completion of more complex assignments.
- Serve as Department’s first point of contact for all Staff related HR matters
- Manage all aspects of Staff Appointments (including research fellow, grad/undergrad student, and temporary employees)
- Coordinate all staff recruitment efforts
- Complete wide range of transactions to
- Post positions
- Participate in candidate screening and selection
- Recommend titles and salaries using internal department data and other available benchmark information
- Serve as liaison to the Medical School’s Immigration Unit to manage immigration and visa issues for international hires
- Oversee and facilitate Departmental Onboarding and Staff orientation processes
- Update Departmental contact lists as needed with new hires and changes in personnel locations, etc.
- Develop profiles/bios and coordinate head shots for new hires and coordinate with communications team for related announcements and web postings
- Serve as Department’s Compliance officer for initial I9s and updates as needed
- Complete wide range of transactions to
- Provide liaison between HR and Department Management teams to facilitate correct process and central approval of personnel actions:
- Leaves of absence
- Others as required
- Coordinate Department’s effort reporting program
- Monitor staffing needs and make recommendations to Management for improvements of efficiencies as identified
- Oversee timekeeping and payroll activities for the Department
- Monitor timeliness of time keeping and keep staff and management informed of approaching deadlines and discrepancies
- Complete PAR transactions as needed to support Department activity
- Monitor policies, regulations and compliance requirements as they pertain to position. Maintain an in depth knowledge of UM HR policies and procedures and have the ability to interpret these to faculty and staff. Assist with the development and revision of associated Department policies.
- Staff the Department’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, actively participating as a member, taking notes and facilitating committee events and activities.
- Provide regular status and progress reports to Department Leadership
- Utilize tracking systems and maintain data about ongoing activities to ensure completion and escalation of problems in a timely manner.
- Coordinate tuition reimbursement for staff
- Participate as a member of the Department Contact and Relation Management (CRM) system team.
- Staff the Department’s Development Committee
- Schedule meeting, take notes, perform follow-up as necessary
- Track donations to various fund-raising initiatives such as CSC Innovation Fund, HILS Program, Hiss Lectureship, etc. and report to Management
- Send follow-up/thank you letters to donors
- Other tasks as assigned
- Provide ad hoc support for Faculty HR activities
- Ability to work under general supervision, conferring with supervisor on more complex matters.
- Demonstrated ability to manage small projects of phases of projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to oversee lower level staff.
- Assignments are generally diverse, usually requiring originality and ingenuity.
- Bachelor's Degree and considerable professional experience, including some in a supervisory capacity is normally required.
- Requires an understanding of the underlying principles of academic administration and the ability to apply those principles in carrying out projects and completing work.
- Ability to analyze course of action and have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of their responsibilities.
- Primary activities and decision making authority are predominantly performed independently affecting business operations to a substantial degree
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience in academic Department Human Resources processes, such as recruitment, onboarding of new hires.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of faculty and staff at all levels within the Department
- Masters Degree Preferred
- Knowledge of U of M policies and procedures
- Familiarity with CRM systems
- Experience with fund raising efforts
- Knowledge of and experience with U of M HR Systems
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.