Assign modifiers, diagnosis codes and appropriate CPT E&M levels utilizing medical documentation. Verify that cost centers and providers are appropriately reported. Provide feedback to supervisor, coders and clinical staff addressing inappropriate patterns of documentation of records reviewed. Monitor and report MiChart edits that may be trapping incorrectly.
- Code surgical procedures inclusive of CPT4 and ICD10 codes & modifiers.
- Review charges for accuracy and identify deficiencies in charge capture and documentation.
- Audit coded data for all services including details related to the provider information, procedure coding, diagnosis coding and supporting documentation in accordance with established coding guidelines.
- Prepare data reports in the format specified by the Coding Unit.
- Assist with coding supervisors and coding staff to ensure that concerns are investigated and appropriate action is taken.
- Respond to complex coding inquiries as required.
- Communicate problems and barriers to supervisor.
- Model, support and reinforce a culture of service excellence to all customers.
- Participate as an active member of Lean Thinking in daily work initiatives.
- Protect the confidentiality of primary and secondary health records and the information therein as mandated by law, professional standards and Health System policies
- CPC/CCS/RHIT/RHIA certification.
- Prior work experience utilizing ICD10 codes.
- Knowledge of legal, regulatory and policy compliance issues related to medical coding and documentation and billing procedures.
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve, and work independently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to provide guidance and training to professional and coding staff.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures is necessary.
- Prior coding experience.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.