How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Creative, part of the Office of the Vice President for Communications, is seeking a technical problem-solver for a full-time role as a Senior Software Engineer .
The University of Michigan’s broad academic excellence, history, diversity, campus culture and public nature make it an extraordinary institution as well as an enormously influential brand. This position will be part of the marketing enterprise and as such will deliver high caliber, award-winning, websites for the University of Michigan’s Office of the Vice President for Communications, as well as other clients across the University’s 19 schools and colleges and multiple institutes and centers.
The ideal candidate is a team player that is smart, collaborative, and passionate about coding and modern technology.
As senior software developer, your code should be structured, commented, and modern. Internally, you will have the opportunity to lead and promote your process and techniques. As a collaborator, you will help raise awareness and help solve the unique challenges of the modern web and application development. As an innovator, you will have the opportunity to design and contribute to a system to serve the greater University.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Solve complex technical issues using a variety of technologies
- Build an array of tools to better serve the University community and beyond
- Improve the development workflow
- Provide expertise and assist in mentorship of the technical team
- Work with the account team to plan, scope and report on project status
- Meet with internal and external stakeholders to discuss and define digital objectives, and develop applications to meet those objectives, as well as support overall digital strategy
As a Senior Software Engineer, you have:
- Expert knowledge of PHP and Drupal theme layer
- Experience using Git version control
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Strong portfolio demonstrating excellence in ideation and design
- Strong team player and excellent communicator
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Hugo, Gatsby, other static-site generators
- Alexa Skills and/or Google Actions
- Developing with another language, like Python
- API design and development
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.