How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter should outline the reasons for your interest in the position and your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn has an exciting opportunity for an Academic Advisor in the College of Business.
The successful candidate will be responsible for advising undergraduate students in the College of Business and directing student advising activities to individual students.
This role provides academic advising to current business students in the College of Business and START offices. This includes advising students of their rights, privileges and obligations as UM-Dearborn and College of Business students, especially with regard to their specific degree program requirements. The advisor will advise students on course selection as appropriate to their degree program; inform all students of University and College of Business policies and procedures; interpret policies and procedures as necessary and recommend appropriate course of action, as well as specific services and programs on campus available to students as it relates to their particular academic, personal and/or financial needs in order to help students balance their personal life and academic career. The advisor will participate in the development and implementation of specific student services programs; represent the College of Business at academic functions; and develop, prepare and edit documents regarding academic programs and requirements including preparation of policy and procedure statements. This role will also assist in reviewing and monitoring the academic standing and progress of students. This individual will represent the College of Business on campus committees and on campus and off campus activities as appropriate (for example, recruitment and informational presentations). This role also provides academic orientation to students and will perform other related duties as assigned. This position requires occasional evenings, weekends, and travel.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A minimum of two years experience in advising/counseling, or relevant academic administration is required; three or more years desired.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a commitment to detail-oriented accuracy is required.
- Knowledge of student services is desirable.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks, prioritize, and work under pressure at peak times is required.
- Ability to exercise initiative and work independently is required and the successful candidate must possess a positive, service-oriented approach to tasks and willingness to assist students.
- Working knowledge of University policies and procedures is desirable.
- Working knowledge of BANNER, Degree Works, and EAB student information systems is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with software applications, particularly word processing, presentation, and spreadsheets is required.
Currently this classification is considered exempt based on compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Position may be under-filled at the Associate level dependent upon the experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.