How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Language Assessment is seeking qualified applicants for its open writing rater pool. This position entails rating essays on an ongoing basis and may require visits to Michigan Language Assessment’s office in Ann Arbor to collect materials. Qualified applicants will be invited as needed to participate in paid training, including benchmarking, calibration, and qualification. Applicants must successfully pass all stages of training to be eligible for participation in live rating sessions. Resumes of qualified applicants will be kept on file for one year. Live rating sessions include reading essays written by nonnative speakers of English and assigning scores to them based on an established rating scale. Raters will work with secure materials and must protect and respect intellectual property. Raters must be able to work independently and under supervision.
To find out more about Michigan Language Assessment please visit our website:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, TESL, applied linguistics or equivalent education
- Native or proficient English ability (as measured by ECPE, MELAB, or equivalent examination score; or by completion of degree at an English-medium university)
- ESL or EFL teaching experience (2+ years)
- Writing teaching or tutoring experience (2+ years)
- Ability to demonstrate competency in written communication
- Attention to detail
- Language assessment experience
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.