How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position will perform responsible high-level secretarial and administrative duties for managing the Big Data Summer Institute (BDSI) program at the department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan and manage specific new initiatives to improve the administrative infrastructure of the department towards improved faculty governance and student experience. The department of Biostatistics is expanding its MS program to develop a Health Data Science concentration, and ultimately into a new MS, the recruit should support the curriculum needs of this development. Also included are some duties for the Department of Biostatistics.
Data Collection and Analysis (20%):
- Work in partnership with PI and Co-Is provide comprehensive data collection, recordkeeping and analyses including preparation of reports across multiple function areas, e.g. financial, grants, reports, space, and research administration.
- Maintain BDSI membership directory and assist in implementing administrative policies, procedures and processes related to various business operations.
- Regular tracking of activities including publications, and presentations given.
Project and Finance Support (30%):
- Work in partnership with finance teams from the various units to track on project funding decisions, status updates, and data for creation of annual budgets and ongoing financial monitoring.
- Coordinate accounting for seed funding program within the Department of Biostatistics.
- Facilitate the expansion of the BDSI program.
- Assist in editing, publishing and release of newsletters, website maintenance and global email communications to collaborators, students and other internal and external audiences.
Administrative and Event Support (35%):
- Provide assistance with creation of agendas and/or documentation for internal leadership meetings and University discussions, including distribution and follow-up on topics from discussions, and related items necessary for ensuring timely information collection and responsiveness. Attend leadership meetings when requested, including note taking and relevant information distribution to attendees.
- Work with faculty advisory team to advertise and recruit students Nationally for the BDSI student body.
- Work with BDSI staff to organize and coordinate scientific workshops/symposiums and speaker visits.
- Work with the Associate Chairs for Biostatistics with new initiatives, support faculty hiring and promotion, search and annual review processes as needed.
- Supervise student program coordinators for BDSI.
- Create PARs for the Department.
- Other duties as assigned including, but not limited to, providing backup support for institute’s administrative needs; additional support for institute initiatives; etc.
Bachelors degree and 4-6 years of administrative support experience; previous experience working in administrative support in higher education for an administrative faculty member (chair, director); excellent computer skills; experience in database management and development; ability to work independently or as part of a team. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal. Strong drive to deliver excellent customer service. Reliable and detail oriented with excellent time management skills. Ability to exercise independent judgment and employ basic reasoning skills. Demonstrated maturity and ability to work independently and to interact professionally with BDSI students, administrative staff, faculty and Associate Chairs. Experience/understanding of relational databases and web-based applications; experience with Wolverine Access, PCard reconciliation, Canvas, and Concur.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic staff (leader/member) with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
This position is part-time, 3 days a week. However, when the summer session is going on it is expected that this position may work up to 5 days a week.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.